NateLawAnswers
NateLawAnswers, Attorney
Experience:  Over 8 years of legal practice.
11217539

Over the weekend I was involved in an altercation with a co-worker

Over the weekend I was involved in an altercation with a co-worker on a public street. The co-worker an I were both under the influence of alcohol as we had gone out that night for a celebration. I initiated the altercation. After both of us calmed down my co-worker and I discussed what had happened and parted ways, myself by taxi and he by his own vehicle. Approximately an hour later, when he and I had returned to our apartment complex my co-workers wife called law enforcement. I waited for them to arrive and was cooperative throughout. It was explained to the co-worker that if he wanted to pursue pressing charges that there would be an investigation into him possibly being DUI leaving the original scene. At the time the co-worker chose not to press charges, but hours later the next day he chose to go to the court house and press charges. I have never been in this sort of trouble and would like to know what should I expect from this situation?
Expert:  NateLawAnswers replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

There's really no way to tell what to expect. I need a few more details. What are you exactly charged with?

Let me know and I'll get right back with you!

Nathan Moore
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have not been charged formally, but I've been told that the co-worker is in the process. I've been trying to look into the possibilities and the only one I can come up with is simple assault. I did not use a weapon and he does not have anything more than a fat lip. He claims I hit him between 4 and 5 times. I have no recollectionother than I do remember hitting him.
If you have no record, you're possibly looking at some sort of anger management or alcohol class and a potential conditional plea (dismissal). It really depends on how badly he was hurt. It's possible that no charges would be filed. Just be ready to call a bail bondsman to get you out so you can face your charges out of custody.
NateLawAnswers, Attorney
Experience: Over 8 years of legal practice.