Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs

Location San Joaquin County, California Tenant had been

Location: San Joaquin County, California:

Tenant had been staying at a hotel at my expense because the property was undergoing renovation. The tenancy ended today ( I sent the tenant a written acceptance that she was vacating the property today).

She returned the keys, and I returned the deposit in full today at 12:00pm. Am I now responsible to pay the tenant's hotel for tonight? She insists that she is still owed the hotel but has already moved out of my property.
Expert:  Barrister replied 5 years ago.

This would depend on when the lease actually ended. If it ends at 12:00 midnight tonight, then you would be on the hook for one more day. However, if she has surrendered the premises and terminated the tenancy due to her lease expiring and you have accepted the surrender, then you are under no further obligation to pay for the hotel. Your legal obligation ends when the tenancy does. So since she already surrendered possession, terminated the lease, and accepted the security deposit back, I would opine that you couldn't be held liable for the hotel costs.

When someone returns keys, that is prima facia evidence of terminating the tenancy.

If I have answered your question, PLEASE CLICK THE GREEN "ACCEPT" button NOW, so that I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are optional and greatly appreciated. Please keep in mind that I don't make the laws, I am just reporting/interpreting them, so the outcome may not be what you had hoped for.

If you need additional clarification on this question, just click "Reply" and I will be happy to help you. Please give me as much detail as you can so that I can respond after receiving all the relevant details.