How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Roger Your Own Question

Roger, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 28800
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had a zero interest loan with Chase Health Advance and I

Customer Question

I had a zero interest loan with Chase Health Advance and I made my last payment on the loan balance 12 days late so I was charged the accrued deferred interest in the amount of $2,124.83. In reviewing my monthly statements there is language in regular size font that states the following: "If we do not receive your minimum payment by the date listed above, you will have to pay up to a $39 late fee and your APRs will be subject to an increase APR 22.99%." I do not, however, believe that this put me on notice that I would be responsible for all the interest. Moreover, the one-page authorization form that I signed when I took out the loan from my dentist-- I signed under the medical provider section and not the account holder section. I already paid off the balance of the loan and the late fee. Can I fight this? I am a NY resident.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Roger replied 4 years ago.

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a litigation attorney here to assist you.


The late fee language is not likely where the interest they're charging you is coming from. All "12 month no interest" loans I've ever seen have a provision in the agreement that says if the entire balance is not paid in full by the end of the interest-free period, all interest that has accrued (been deferred) on the account during the 12 months will be assessed to the account. You need to see whether or not the agreement has such a provision.


If not, you can fight it. If there is such a provision, however, you're going to be responsible for this accrued interest.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the one-page invoice that i signed states: "Each Account Holder is authorizing the "Amount Financed indicated below to be charged to the ChaseHealthAdvance Revolving Account and acknowledges that, by giving authorization, they are agreeing to be bound by the terms and conditions of this Invoice and the Revolving Payment Agreement and Disclosure Statement, a copy of each of which, completely filled in, has been provided to each Account Holder by the Provider at or prior to the time of signing this Invoice. I have read the ChaseHealth Advance Revolving Payment Agreement and Disclosure Statement."

the acount holder signature line is right under the above language. as i mentioned in my first post, I signed this invoice, but I signed under medical provider and not under the account holder section. also, I didn't receive any other documents from my dentist. I only received a copy of the one-page invoice.

in addition to the foregoing, i'm trying to figure out if there are any mitigating factors that Chase is required to consider. Paying over $2K for making a payment 12 days late does not seem reasonable or just. Maybe there are NY laws where there are mandatory grace periods that banking institutions must follow??? Thank you.
Expert:  Roger replied 4 years ago.

If you missed the deadline to pay by 1 day, the lender has a contractual right to charge the interest. I agree with you that the lender could give you some grace days or give you a break, but the contract is the contract, and there's no law that is going to require the lender to waive this interest under any circumstance. No court is going to disturb the provisions of the contract.


However, if there is some document you didn't sign that says you agree to pay this accrued/deferred interest, you may have a legal claim to challenge this. If nothing else, it may be a good bargaining chip to settle this debt for an amount less than what they've assessed to you.

Edited by Kirk Adams on 2/1/2011 at 12:41 AM EST

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina


    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.