NateLawAnswers
NateLawAnswers, Attorney
Experience:  Over 8 years of legal practice.
11217539

Hi I am being sued by wells fargo for non payment of 2 credit

Hi I am being sued by wells fargo for non payment of 2 credit card. The total I owed was about $8,500 for both. When I the papers were served I then sent back an answer to the lawsuit and a request for documents of proof. they sent the answers and then I had to go to court for a case management conference, which I went to, however when I got there I found out the conference had been vacated and the court ordered mediation through alternative dispute resolution. The next step was for me to select a mediator from a list that wells fargo sent to me. After many attempt I finally was able to get in touch with their lawyers today and the mediation is supposed to take place on Wed. and they informed me that there had been a hearing that I did not attend, but I didn't know about any hearing and I checked through all my papers and I couldn't find any information about a hearing. Also I am currently unemployed, having been laid off because of the economy. I am collecting unemployment and do not have any extra money to pay a mediator. I don't know what to do. They are being complete ass holes and I am at the end of my rope. What do I do? what can I do?
Thank you
Thank you for your question.

If you're on unemployment, there's only so much they can do. Is the debt valid?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yeah I stopped paying on it because I lost my job and was trying to make sure I made my mortgage payements. I fully intent to pay it back but I have to get a job first. Their lawyer kept asking me if I could set up a payment plan and if I didn't the cost would continue to go up, and when I do get a job she said they could still come after me for up to ten years. This whole mess is really stressing me out, on top of the constant stress of trying to find a job and trying to keep my house. what happens if I can't set up the mediation meeting by the deadline set by the court? Theres just no way I can afford to pay a mediator at all.
Don't stress out too much.

At worst, they can only garnish 25% of your wages. Even then, you can file a slow pay motion to reduce payments even more.

Past that, you can always file Chapter 13 bankruptcy. Unlike Chapter 7, it won't destroy your credit and will stop collection efforts until a court approved modification of your debts is determined.

I will be happy to follow up with you if you have additional questions. In the meantime, please click ACCEPT so that I can get credit for answering your question.

Thanks!

Nathan Moore
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So should I still try and set up something with the mediator by this Wednesday? Or ask the judge for an extension? Their lawyer tries to put pressure on setting up payments, but I simply don't have the money to do any of that or to negotiate a settlement with the mediator.
Yes. Still go to the mediation - bring all your financials and you may get a great deal from the mediator based on your situation.