Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator

what are my chances, of obtaining an c20 contractors license,

what are my chances, of obtaining an c20 contractors license, H/VAC, with multiple felony convitions ranging from armed robery to domestic violence?
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 5 years ago.
Chances are not so good.

For a California contractors license, the convictions must be "substantially related" to the qualifications, functions, or duties of a contractor to trigger CSLB discipline.

Substantially related means:

2.1. "Substantially related" convictions

Generally speaking, a "substantially related" conviction is a conviction for a crime that implicates a contractor’s ability to perform contracting work in a safe and responsible manner.

For example:

• violations of the Contractors’ State License Law

• crimes involving dishonesty, fraud, deceit, or theft

• crimes involving physical violence against persons

• crimes that indicate a substantial or repeated disregard for the health, safety, or welfare of the public.4

• violations of California Penal Code Section 396 (taking advantage of the public during emergencies like earthquakes or fires)5

If there was guilty pleas that is also a minus.

If there is a period of rehabilitation (7 years for felonies and 3 years for misdemeanors) that may help in the process. Rehabilitation means there has been no further offenses since these last ones and/or you have taken classes to rehabilitation your conduct.

2.3. Importance of rehabilitation

The idea of rehabilitation - the notion that people can move past their crimes – is important in contractor license discipline and license denial cases based on criminal convictions. Just because someone went through a bad patch in the past doesn’t mean that person is unfit to do contracting work today.

The Registrar will consider a number of factors in determining whether a contractor or applicant has been rehabilitated from his or her crime, including the time that has elapsed since the conviction.

In general, a contractor may be considered rehabilitated:

• for substantially related felony convictions, 7 years from time of release from incarceration or completion of probation (if no incarceration was imposed) so long as there has not been additional criminal activity

• for substantially related misdemeanor convictions, 3 years from time of release from incarceration or completion of probation (if no incarceration was imposed) so long as there has not been additional criminal activity

CSLB will also consider the following:

• nature and severity of the crime

• evidence of any subsequent crime

• compliance with parole, probation or restitution terms

• consistent work history subsequent to release from incarceration or completion of probation

• letters of reference

• evidence of expungement proceedings

• substance abuse counseling

• anger management counseling8

Please click accept, and I can help with further questions if you have them.

Please Note: is a public forum. is not a law firm. is only a question and answer site. Asking a question does not create an attorney-client relationship nor is your question protected under the attorney-client privilege. An attorney-client relationship is established when you enter into written contract for representation and pay a retainer directly with the attorney or attorney’s firm. uses the term “Expert”. I do not hold myself as an expert when I answer your questions. The information given by me is not legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given.

My answer or reply is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, this is the only way I get paid. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over. You can always request me through my profile here or beginning your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.