Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...

Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
1723468

My son has student loans and sends a monthly payment in which

My son has student loans and sends a monthly payment in which is suppose to be distributed between all his loans-- per his lender-- they have not done that and have put his last loan in default -- he has gotten 5 different answers from 5 different people- and finally was told nothing could be done and that's that-- and have sent him to collections-- he pays every month

Thank you
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 3 years ago.
1) What evidence does your son have reflecting the arrangements he made with the lender?

2) What kind of lender is this? Was this a consolidation program?

3) How long has our son been making payments before he discovered this error? Does your son have access to his accounts online?

Thanks

_______________________________________________

Please Note: JustAnswer.com is a public forum. JustAnswer.com is not a law firm. JustAnswer.com is only a question and answer site. Asking a question does not create an attorney-client relationship nor is your question protected under the attorney-client privilege. An attorney-client relationship is established when you enter into written contract for representation and pay a retainer directly with the attorney or attorney’s firm.

JustAnswer.com uses the term “Expert”. I do not hold myself as an expert when I answer your questions. The information given by me is not legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given.

My answer or reply is also limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He had phone conversations with 5 people with names and dates--every call is documented on the lenders end also.

Citiassist-- no consolidation

Been making payment quite some time now-- has online access-- this just came out of the blue-- got a call 01/27/11- stating it was a collection agency and 01/31/11 was his dead line-- Citibank did state they saw the note in the computer as how the money was to distributed-- but for some reason it wasn't

Thank you for your reply.

It would be great if he actually had a copy of that writing agreement since the other party has the ability to edit such information. However since there has been a history of such payments, your son can show a pattern of the agreement.

What to do? Since it is now in the hands of collections, your son needs to make contact with the collection agency and demand validation (demand in writing that he now owes collections the money). Under the Fair Debt Collection Practice Act, your son has no written contract with the collector and therefore does not owe them anything without proof. If the collection agency does not verify and proceeds with a lawsuit your son can raise defends to deny them collecting the money.

As to Citibank, your son can legally sue them for breach of agreement. It would requiring filing law suit for breach of contract and negligence. In the alternative he can file a complaint with the FTC and the NY consumer protection board which regulates banking, but please note these options may be slow in processing.

http://www.nysconsumer.gov/contactus.htm

The fact however remains that since the matter is now sent to collections, your son needs to resolve that issue first. Below is a layman's guide on how to dispute collections. It should buy him sometime while he tries to work out the problems with the lender.

http://www.creditinfocenter.com/rebuild/debt_validation.shtml

My answer or reply is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, this is the only way I get paid. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over. You can always request me through my profile here or beginning your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience: Attorney & Certified Mediator