Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

WHAT ARE THE GUIDELINES FOR RECEIVING AFDC IN NORTH CAROLINA

WHAT ARE THE GUIDELINES FOR RECEIVING AFDC IN NORTH CAROLINA? I AM 21 AND HAVE A DAUGHTER, WHO IS TURNING 3 IN MARCH, SHE LIVES WITH HER MOTHER, WHO HAS NOT ASK FOR CHILD SUPPORT AS I WAS NOT WORKING. SHE INFORMED ME YESTERDAY THAT SHE HAD GONE AND SIGNED UP FOR AFDC. HER MOTHER DOES NOT WORK EITHER. I GET MY DAUGHTER AT 5:30 EVERY WEEK DAY AND I HAVE HER EVERY SATURDAY AND SUNDAY. DO I HAVE ANY RIGHTS? WILL THE GOVERNMENT COME AFTER ME FOR REPAYMENT?

RayAnswers :

Thanks for your question and good afternoon.The single mother here has legal custody.Since she applied for benefits-AFDC they will eventually file a paternity/child support case on you.For you to assert your potential custody rights you would have to have the court award you legal joint custody and visitation.I would tell you to consider legal aid to try and file for your joint custody and other parental rights.You have such potential rights but you need a court to agree and waive child support.Otherwise they will come after you eventually seeking court ordered support.

RayAnswers :

You should contact legal aid to see if they can help you file for your custody rights.

RayAnswers :

LANC Offices and Projects

Legal Aid of North Carolina (LANC) provides legal services to eligible clients in geographically located offices throughout North Carolina and through special, statewide projects and regional projects.

Local LANC Offices

Select a county or city for local office information:
[County/Office Index] [City/Office Index] [Map]

Ahoskie Goldsboro Raleigh
Asheville Greensboro Rocky Mount
Boone Greenville Sanford
Charlotte Monroe Smithfield
Concord Morganton Sylva
Durham New Bern Wilmington
Fayetteville Pembroke Wilson
Gastonia Pittsboro Winston-Salem
Customer :

THANK YOU. XXXXX TO CONTACT LEGAL AID TO SEE IF THEY CAN HELP ME.

RayAnswers :

Thanks for the chat.I wish you good luck here with getting your legal rights.If you can click accept I would appreciate it.Thanks again for letting me help you.