Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
1723468

I was laid off from my job in July of 2009 at a private school

I was laid off from my job in July of 2009 at a private school after working there since July 2006. The head of the school told me that the layoff was strictly due to the economic situation at the school and he could not foresee when they might restore the position, which has remained unfilled since. During my time there, my performance reviews from my direct superior were exemplary and the head of school expressly told me when he informed of my layoff that in no way was the move performance-related. Today, they are advertising the job as being open, but have not contacted me to come back. Do I have any legal recourse for their passing by me to fill the position? I am also a 48 yr. old and a veteran. Thanks.
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 5 years ago.
Do I have any legal recourse for their passing by me to fill the position?

No. Unless you were hired as a contracted employee where they guaranteed the position in writing, you are not entitled to notice or reinstatement. As an "at-will" employee you are not guaranteed reinstatement if you were let go. There is also no discrimination here, since they specifically said this was economic-base and there was no immediate posting of his position.

You are free to reapply and under the EEOC all candidates are to be treated equally for the position.

Please click accept, and I can help with further questions if you have them.

_______________________________________________

Please Note: JustAnswer.com is a public forum. JustAnswer.com is not a law firm. JustAnswer.com is only a question and answer site. Asking a question does not create an attorney-client relationship nor is your question protected under the attorney-client privilege. An attorney-client relationship is established when you enter into written contract for representation and pay a retainer directly with the attorney or attorney’s firm.

JustAnswer.com uses the term “Expert”. I do not hold myself as an expert when I answer your questions. The information given by me is not legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given.

My answer or reply is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, this is the only way I get paid. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over. You can always request me through my profile here or beginning your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.