Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...

Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
1723468

My Nuring instructor changed her course outline, did not adhere

Customer Question

My Nuring instructor changed her course outline, did not adhere to her grading policy, was always late to class, gave breaks even though she was very behind in her material, refused to allow me to review an exam. These are some examples there are more. I also have a learning disability and am a 49 year old male displaced worker retraining for a career in Nursing. I believe her course mismanagement and bias has caused me to fail the course by 2 points. There is no mathmatical error in her calculation of the grade. As a result of her unfair evaluation. I will lose my 599 eligibilty and tuition assistance. Do I have any recourse?
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 3 years ago.
Do I have any recourse?

Based on the information provided, if you believe you were treated differently because of your disability, then you have a discrimination case. You would also have a case if the school/teacher has failed to comply with the rules of the school (such as not adhering to the grading policy, as one example). I see you have tried appealing to the school, so the next step would be to file suit. You may also wish to consider contacting the local civil liberties union if this is a public school. Otherwise filing suit would be the option to consider. It would be your burden to show failure to comply with the schools policies resulting in your harm.

Please click accept, and I can help with further questions if you have them.

_______________________________________________

Please Note: JustAnswer.com is a public forum. JustAnswer.com is not a law firm. JustAnswer.com is only a question and answer site. Asking a question does not create an attorney-client relationship nor is your question protected under the attorney-client privilege. An attorney-client relationship is established when you enter into written contract for representation and pay a retainer directly with the attorney or attorney’s firm.

JustAnswer.com uses the term “Expert”. I do not hold myself as an expert when I answer your questions. The information given by me is not legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given.

My answer or reply is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience: Attorney & Certified Mediator
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is part of the State Universities of New York? Would that be considered a public school? School policy on such matters is vague to non existent. Here is what has happened to date. Please advise?

December 31, 2010

Dear Mr Winderl and Members of the Committee,

Thank you for your time and consideration in this matter. First, I would like to take this opportunity to introduce myself. My name isXXXXX was a Project Manager for a Fortune 500 company for over fifteen years and hold a business degree from Pace University. I am a forty-nine year old student challenged with reading dyslexia and have chosen to pursue a second career in nursing. I am in my second year of the nursing program and over the past year and a half have shown both dedication to this program and my motivation to excel in patient care. I just completed NUR2020, in the lecture portion of the class taught by Instructor Christine Sachakov I received a 72.4, just below the passing grade of 75. I am writing to ask that you consider the circumstances of the semester which I describe below, and allow me to continue pursuing my nursing degree so that I may affect the lives of those patients and families in need of our devoted care.

The course catalogue describes NUR2020 as consisting of four components:
1. Clinical Calculations (graded, 90% grade required)
2. Nursing Lab ( pass/fail) 2hours
3. Clinical Lab (satisfactory/ unsatisfactory) 10 hours
4. Lecture ( graded, 75% grade required) 3 hours
My final grades in the three components, excluding lecture, exceed the minimum required for those sections with no issues. I believe my failure of the lecture component was a result not of an inability to master and practice the knowledge required of the course (exhibited in part by my successful completion of the Lab and Clinical portions of the course) but of the course's execution, as I will discuss below.

According to the syllabus the lecture grade was to be comprised of :
Twelve Quizzes (2 to be dropped) + Literacy Assignment = two quizzes
Five exams plus quiz average = 70% of final grade
Cumulative Final = 30% of final grade
Lectures were divided into five units of study corresponding with the five exams. It is important to highlight that the execution of the course was not only inconsistent with the description provided, but also not inclusive of that material required to complete the course. Illustrating these points is: (i) the provision of only href="http://www.justanswer.com/law/4i7rb-nuring-instructor-changed-course-outline-not-adhere.html quizzes, of which none were dropped; (ii) only half the completion of Unit V; and (iii)the fifth unit exam although weighted equally to the other four, contained only half the number tested in the prior four exams. The class was further informed Unit VB: Nursing Process Related to Alterations in Peripheral Circulation would be covered in the NUR2030 spring semester and the remaining twenty-five questions of exam five would be given at that time. I must exert that I believe it is imprudent to (i) test material required for NUR2020 in a following semester; (ii) weight a twenty-five question test equivalent to fifty question tests; (iii)and most importantly have a cumulative final consist of 90% of the required course material.

Instructor Christine Sachakov was brought on board to teach the NUR2020 shortly before the semester began. She has wonderful academic credentials but little classroom experience. On November 2nd we had our second of five exams, leaving 60% of the required material to be covered in the remaining one third of the semester. In terms of the learning environment through the course Ms. Sachakov consistently gave verbatim definitions and explanations from the "Iggy" textbook with little personal input. Sadly, reciting the text is extraordinarily time consuming and decidedly the worst teaching method for a critical thinking course. Pointedly, the class average on the final was below 75, an F; however Ms. Sachakov gave back points for high miss questions and the average was subsequently raised to just above passing. High miss questions are questions that a certain percent of the class gets incorrect inequitably; therefore those students submitting a correct response received no "give back" points. I discovered this policy when I answered two high miss questions correct on the first exam.

Personally, given my disability. I am constantly challenged to overcome changes in learning logistics and course execution. To overcome these challenges, I have continuously and continue to work privately with a learning disability psychologist, XXXXX XXXXX (see attached). I am registered with the Learning Center on campus and have A's and B's in nearly all the required courses. I have worked extremely hard over the past year and a half to succeed in this program despite these in-class challenges. Ms. Sachakov states in her course outline that "Certain students with disabilities may want to plan to visit me regularly throughout the semester for help and advice with schoolwork." (see attached). As a result, I consistently scheduled appointments during office hours to go over all incorrect exam questions. Our sessions were rushed and incomplete. Ms. Sachakov would not stay beyond her 2:00PM scheduled office hours and due to Clinical Calculations class I could not arrive before 1:30PM. In preparation for the final exam I requested to review the previous five exams as was permitted in the previous two semesters for all students, she declined. I asked to go over exam five, again she declined. I emailed her (see attached) for advice regarding the literacy assignment and clarification on test questions. I received a prompt response but she never followed up with an answer. I believe this to have produced needless frustration and exacerbated my exam scores.

Lecture is but one of four components necessary to complete NUR2020. My hard work and dedication in Calculations and both Lab sections have led to passing the other three required components. It appears the failure to adhere to grading policy and the lack of accessibility from the instructor to review course material has lead me to undershooting the 75% minimum lecture grade. Unfortunately, the poor execution of this course has caused an unnecessary burden on the entire fall 2010 NUR2020 class, of which because of my disability, I felt more intensely than most.

I humbly and enthusiastically ask the board to consider my request to adjust my lecture grade two and a half points to a 75 and find in favor of allowing me to complete my final semester of the nursing program and become a Registered Nurse. If you have any questions or wish to further discuss this case prior to your decision, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Thank You, XXXXX

(href="http://www.justanswer.com/law/4i7rb-nuring-instructor-changed-course-outline-not-adhere.html45) 692-41href="http://www.justanswer.com/law/4i7rb-nuring-instructor-changed-course-outline-not-adhere.html4 home
(href="http://www.justanswer.com/law/4i7rb-nuring-instructor-changed-course-outline-not-adhere.html45) href="http://www.justanswer.com/law/4i7rb-nuring-instructor-changed-course-outline-not-adhere.html20-1href="http://www.justanswer.com/law/4i7rb-nuring-instructor-changed-course-outline-not-adhere.html59 cellXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

Letter from XXXXX XXXXX

Ron Turner PhD <XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX> to Cosmo Bartoli <XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX>
Dec 30
Hi Cosmo,
The issue to summarize on is that they failed to adhere to their own assessment procedures.
This leads to a loss of reliability in their assessment method.
With a loss in reliability comes a loss in validity of the assessment procedures.
If the assessment procedures are not valid, then judgements as to competency based on the assessment contains an increased degree of error.
Given the 2.5 points that are in dispute this degree of error mauy in fact be due to loss of assessment accuracy, rather than the student's ability.
As I mentioned yesterday, I think your analysis of the test where everyone else recieved increased points for overly difficult test items in a sence penalized you and the others that got it right. Awarding everyone else points for those items, essentially held your score constant while everyone else got credit for not being able to answer a difficult question. As a result your standing remained stationary, while everyone else who got it wrong was elevated. as a result your standing on the test relative to your peers was dimished. So you were harmed in that proceedure as well.
Given these two inappropriate use of statistics and testing I believe there is enough error in the departments proceedures, and given you documented learning disability, I believe inapproriate conclusions are being reached, on poorly applied statistics, and unreliable assessment procedures. Given this I would hope the department would look at performance based criteria to assess your ability to progress as a nurse.
I am happy to help in any way. I believe you have what it takes to be a nurse. Fuzzy proceedures and a few points are not sufficient to determine your ability for a career.
Sincerely
Ronald L. Turner, PhD
NYS Psychologist 011019
Health, Rehabilitation, & Neuropsychology
Rephuah Health Psychology, P.C.
href="http://www.justanswer.com/law/4i7rb-nuring-instructor-changed-course-outline-not-adhere.html25 Route 211 E
Middletown, NY 10941
(href="http://www.justanswer.com/law/4i7rb-nuring-instructor-changed-course-outline-not-adhere.html45)(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr />REPHUAHPSYCH.COM
Emails from Ms, Sackakov

Date:10/3/2010 11:27:13 AM
From:SACHAKOV, CHRISTINE
To:Bartoli, Cosmo
Subject:RE: IMPORTANT INFORMATION

Hi Cosmo,
Great that you got your Flu shot, you are one step ahead! I did mark the tests and will try to post them later today. I had trouble with the internet over the weekend! I believe you got a 76. See you tomorrow!
Ms. S

Date:10/3/2010 12:39:06 PM
From:Bartoli, Cosmo
To:SACHAKOV, CHRISTINE
Subject:RE: Exam #1 Grades Posted
Professor
Since I did poorly on the exam I would like to go over it with you tomorrow after class, if you have time? I'm free until 2pm since I have lab. Please advise
Regards Cos

Date:10/3/2010 12:57:16 PM
From:SACHAKOV, CHRISTINE
To:Bartoli, Cosmo
Subject:RE: Exam #1 Grades Posted

Cosmo,
My office hours are tomorrow href="http://www.justanswer.com/law/4i7rb-nuring-instructor-changed-course-outline-not-adhere.html:30-10:30. I will be leaving after lecture, so please see me in the morning during my office hours to go over the test.
Thanks,
Ms. S

Date: 10/19/2010 7:36.26 PM
From:SACHAKOV, CHRISTINE
To:All course students (201011-SUL-UG-NUR-2020-01) (01 - Health Problems in Life Cycle - Section Unavailable)
Subject:Mid-term grades
To all,
Hope clinical is going well for all of you this week. I wanted to inform you that mid-term grades were submitted today. If you did poorly or are failing NUR 2020 at this time, DON'T panic!!! If you are failing come see me, but remember, grades are based on one Exam and 2 quizzes so far & we have plenty to go and plenty of time to make up the grades. Do not be discouraged and stay focused so we can move forward. See you all Friday!
Ms. S

Date:10/25/2010 6:39:02 PM
From:Bartoli, Cosmo
To:SACHAKOV, CHRISTINE
Subject:Quiz 3 Confusion
This concerns question 12 a brain attack. There is some confusion about the correct answer. The rational for this is that you would put the patient in a supine position (flat) or no more than 30 degrees elevated. (Iggy p. 1043) and then call the doctor. The reason is to increase the blood flow to the ischemic brain in order to keep the head in a midline (neutral position) to help with the venous drainage from the brain., Increasing the blood flow is the first prioty immediatly followed by calling the MD.I used critical thinking to decrease the risk for injury to the patient. When in the hospital the nurse takes care of the patient first and than calls the doctor.
Please respond.

Date:10/2href="http://www.justanswer.com/law/4i7rb-nuring-instructor-changed-course-outline-not-adhere.html/2010 12:36:34 PM
From:SACHAKOV, CHRISTINE
To:Bartoli, Cosmo
Subject:RE: Quiz 3 Confusion

Hi Cosmo,
I am correcting quizzes today and will look into this question. See you tomorrow!
Ms S

Date:11/1href="http://www.justanswer.com/law/4i7rb-nuring-instructor-changed-course-outline-not-adhere.html/2010 9:37:22 AM
From:Bartoli, Cosmo
To:SACHAKOV, CHRISTINE
Subject:Exam
Professor
I am so upset that I blew the exam.. I would like to see you tomorrow after math class at 1:30 to go over the test.
Is that possible?
Regards Cosmo

Date:11/1href="http://www.justanswer.com/law/4i7rb-nuring-instructor-changed-course-outline-not-adhere.html/2010 3:5href="http://www.justanswer.com/law/4i7rb-nuring-instructor-changed-course-outline-not-adhere.html:42 PM
From:SACHAKOV, CHRISTINE
To:Bartoli, Cosmo
Subject:RE: Exam
That's fine...as long as the slot is open for 1:30...sign up outside my office in the am. see you tomorrow!
Ms S

Date:11/5/2010 6:47:42 PM
From:Bartoli, Cosmo
To:SACHAKOV, CHRISTINE
Subject:Champane Question

Professor
As per our conversation today our book reads on p. 954 Chart 44-2
Teach patients to avoid the foods, medications and other factors that may trigger a migraine attack.
Food and beverages (tyramine containing)
Alcoholic
drinks: beer, wine and hard liquor.
How would we know that champagne doesn't have tyramine from the book?
I know champagne contains alcoholic, and would have no way of knowing from lecture or the text that champagne is excluded.
I feel we should have received this question back. You mentioned in the class to go by the book.After reading the book again I feel I deserve that href="http://www.justanswer.com/law/4i7rb-nuring-instructor-changed-course-outline-not-adhere.html0. I look forward to hearing from you over the weekend.
What are your thoughts?

Date:11/21/2010 11:51:39 AM
From:SACHAKOV, CHRISTINE
Subject:Exam #3 Grades
Hello All,
Hope you are all enjoying the weekend! The grades for exam #3 are posted! See you tomorrow!
Ms S

Date:11/21/2010 2:53:37 PM
From:Bartoli, Cosmo
To:SACHAKOV, CHRISTINE
Subject:RE: Exam #3 Grades
Professor
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX to go over he test tommorrow if you are available.I will sign up, Were they any questions given back?

Date:11/27/2010 10:30:22 PM
From:Bartoli, Cosmo
To:SACHAKOV, CHRISTINE
Subject:Literacy Assignent Please Help
Professor
Since I have never written an annotated bibliography before is this okay. I need an A. Here are the two I finsihed. Please advise.
Thanks for your help.

Lee, I.S. (2010) Nurses Role In The early Defibrillation of Cardiac Patients: Implications for nursing in Hong Kong. Contemporary Nurse, 35 (1): href="http://www.justanswer.com/law/4i7rb-nuring-instructor-changed-course-outline-not-adhere.htmlhref="http://www.justanswer.com/law/4i7rb-nuring-instructor-changed-course-outline-not-adhere.html-94
The article proposes a nurse's training to include defibrillation of sudden cardiac arrest in hospital resuscitation efforts. Advance defibrillator technology eliminates the necessity of a skilled cardiac specialist. Nurses are generally either present or first responders to emergency cardiac conditions in the hospital environment. According to the American heart association survival rate of sudden cardiac arrest is heavily dependant on the response time for treatment. Due to studies showing the loss of skills for CPR training over time a program for maintaining defibrillation knowledge and skill should be implemented to ensure the continued competency of the nursing staff. Positive outcomes for sudden cardiac arrest patients should be realized if defibrillation becomes a practiced
Kelly,J. & Timmons, F. (200href="http://www.justanswer.com/law/4i7rb-nuring-instructor-changed-course-outline-not-adhere.html) Spiritual Assessment In Intensive Cardiac Care Nursing, Nursing In Critical Care 13 (3) 124-131
The article looks at several methods of collecting information for spiritual assessment and its significance in the care of CCU and ICU patients. The crisis of critical illness often produces anxiety, uneasiness or may cause the patient to become dispirited which can be compounded by the overwhelming environment of the ICU or CCU. A variety of nursing interventions ie. Therapeutic touch, guided imagery, music therapy, praying can be usefully employed with prior knowledge from a patients spiritual assessment. The tools discussed for spiritual assessment are a combination of questions and observations the nurse performs while evaluating the five R's of spiritual assessment. Reason, reflection, religion, relationship and restriction. Several examples of pertinent open ended questions are contained in the article which may be useful patient evaluation. Understanding the patients spiritual needs may enable the nursing staff to provide appropriate interventions to provide comfort to the ICU or CCU patient.

Date:11/2href="http://www.justanswer.com/law/4i7rb-nuring-instructor-changed-course-outline-not-adhere.html/2010 10:51:40 AM
From:SACHAKOV, CHRISTINE
To:Bartoli, Cosmo
Subject:RE: Literacy Assignent Please Help
Cosmo,
I wanted to get back to you so you weren't waiting on me. I will not have a chance to look at this today! If you still have questions before I can get back to you, please stop by the library and they should have a copy/handout on an example of an annotated bibliography. Thanks.
Ms S

Official Catalog Course Description:
This course provides the student with content to assess the individual for health illness alterations
throughout the life cycle. The concept of nurse as teacher is further developed. The nursing process
provides the framework for practice and the ability to promote client's adaptation within a therapeutic
environment. The role of the associate degree nurse, as a provider of care and member within the
discipline of nursing, is further developed.
Measurable Student Learning Outcomes:
Following successful completion of this course, students will be able to
1. Define the impact of socio-cultural factors on health alterations throughout the life
cycle.
2. Analyze the relationship between developmental levels and adaptation to
physiological and psychosocial stressors.
3. Utilize the nursing process when caring for clients and families in health restoration.
4. Provide nursing care to culturally diverse clients, whose ability to adapt is
compromised by major health alterations.
5. Implement teaching plans that are specific to the client learning needs.
6. Demonstrate safe performance of nursing skills incorporating principles of universal
precautions and provide a safe physical and psychosocial environment.
7. Communicate verbally, and in writing, pertinent client behaviors and responses to
nursing interventions.
href="http://www.justanswer.com/law/4i7rb-nuring-instructor-changed-course-outline-not-adhere.html. Utilize skills of therapeutic communication that assist the client and family to adapt
to health alterations throughout the life cycle.
9. Describe the role of the Associate Degree nurse as a collaborative and accountable
member of the health care team.
10. Demonstrate ability to establish priorities for planning and organizing care in a time
efficient and cost effective manner.
11. Practice within the ethical, legal and regulatory framework of nursing when
providing nursing care throughout the life cycle.
12. Utilize health and social resources in the community that can facilitate health
restoration for clients/family
13. Incorporate nursing research as it applies to nursing practice.
Required Text, Software, and Materials:
Cox, H., et al Clinical Applications of Nursing Diagnosis, F.A. Davis Company.
Daniels/Smith. . Clinical Calculations: A Unified Approach (Delmar Publishers.
Deglin, J.& Vallerand, A. Davis's Drug Guide For Nurses F.A. Davis.
Fischbach, F. Nurse's Quick Reference to Common laboratory and Diagnostic Tests.
Lippincott
Frisch, N. and Frisch, L. Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing Delmar Publishers.
Ignatavicius, D. & Workman, M. L. (200href="http://www.justanswer.com/law/4i7rb-nuring-instructor-changed-course-outline-not-adhere.html). Medical - Surgical Nursing: Critical Thinking for
Collaborative Care ( 6th ed). Saunders
Lilley, L. & Aucker, R. Pharmacology and the Nursing Process Mosby.
Lutz, C., Przytulski, K. Nutrition and Diet Therapy F.A. Davis.
Metheny, N. Fluid and Electrolyte BaXXXXX XXXXXppincott-Raven.
Pillitteri, A. Maternal & Child Health Nursing: Care of the Childbearing & Childrearing Family
.B. Lippincott.
Schuster, P. A., Concept Mapping: A Critical Thinking Approach to Care Planning F.A.
Davis Company.
Taber Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary .F.A. Davis.
Other Resources
Academic Computing Lab
SCCC Library and Computer Center
Learning/Counseling Center
Math Lab
Nursing Lab
Course Requirement and Grading:
COLLEGE LABORATORY
Basic nursing skills will be taught by nursing faculty in the college laboratory. Audio-visual material,
CD-ROM, interactive software and hospital equipment will be provided to assist students with learning
the basic psychomotor nursing skills necessary to provide safe nursing care to clients in the clinical
laboratory setting.
Psychomotor objectives are evaluated in the college laboratory and in the clinical laboratory setting.
Testing of psychomotor skills will be done in the college laboratory both by written and practical
performance evaluation. Skill checks must be done within two weeks of instruction. Peer review should
be completed prior to setting up appointments for skill checks. Peer review should not be completed on
the same day the skill is taught.
COMPUTER ASSISTED INSTRUCTION
Students are required to utilize the ANGEL online classroom, CAI and CD-ROM as determined by course
content. These assignments will be given separately.
1. COMPETENCY FOR CLINICAL CALCULATIONS
A minimum score of 90% is required in order to administer medications in the clinical area. Two retakes
will be permitted. Remediation will be required before retake and the competency must be completed
within two weeks of Clinical Competency Test I. Failure to meet this requirement will result in a
clinical failure.
2. CLINICAL
Responsibility for travel to and from the clinical facilities must be assumed by the student. All students
must be aware that the clinical facilities are dispersed throughout Sullivan, Orange, and Ulster counties. It
is not possible for students to be assigned to an area near their home or their area of preference.
Participation in pre and post conference is required to ensure competent nursing practice. Application of
the nursing process will be demonstrated by providing appropriate nursing care within an established
framework. Successful completion of assigned nursing process papers and concept maps, as well as
direct observation and evaluation by nursing faculty comprise the evaluative component of the clinical
experience. Specific information regarding clinical assignments will be distributed separately.
3. STUDENT PORTFOLIO
Students will be required to maintain a folder for all written nursing process papers and clinical
assignments. This portfolio should be available for faculty review any time during the semester and at the
completion of the nursing course.
4. AMOUNT OF WORK EXPECTED OF THE STUDENT
In-Class Outside-Class
Lecture 4 hours href="http://www.justanswer.com/law/4i7rb-nuring-instructor-changed-course-outline-not-adhere.html hours
College Laboratory 2 hours 4 hours
Clinical Laboratory 10 hours 4 hours
GRADING POLICY
The cognitive component of the nursing curriculum will be tested in writing. In case of absence from any
course exam, administration of a make-up exam is at the discretion of the instructor. In addition:
1) The absence must be verified by written excuse
2) The highest grade given will be 75%
3) The student will have one week to make up a missed exam
There will be 12 quizzes administered per semester. There will be NO make up of a quiz. Two quizzes
will be dropped. The remaining 10 quizzes will be averaged to equal one unit exam. Students absent from
a quiz will take a zero.
Methods of Evaluation Grading
Clinical Calculation Competency Satisfactory (90% mastery)
Quizzes (minimum of href="http://www.justanswer.com/law/4i7rb-nuring-instructor-changed-course-outline-not-adhere.html) Quiz Average = 1 Unit Exam
Unit Exams (5 exams plus Quiz average) 70% of final grade
Cumulative Final Exam 30% of final grade
Assessment and Skills Competency Pass / Fail
Clinical Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory
Information Literacy Assignment - Equal to 2 quizzesGrading Structure for Course
A = 90-100 B+=href="http://www.justanswer.com/law/4i7rb-nuring-instructor-changed-course-outline-not-adhere.html6-href="http://www.justanswer.com/law/4i7rb-nuring-instructor-changed-course-outline-not-adhere.html9 B = href="http://www.justanswer.com/law/4i7rb-nuring-instructor-changed-course-outline-not-adhere.html0-href="http://www.justanswer.com/law/4i7rb-nuring-instructor-changed-course-outline-not-adhere.html5 C = 75-79 F = below 75
A final grade of "C" must be achieved in order to complete the nursing program.

COLLEGE LABORATORY
Selected nursing skills taught in the college laboratory will be evaluated by nursing faculty during open
laboratory hours or by appointment. The student is expected to demonstrate competency in a selected skill
prior to performance in the clinical setting, on a pass or fail basis. If the student is repeatedly
unsatisfactory in skill performance, he/she may receive an unsatisfactory clinical evaluation. Failure to
complete a skill check within the specified time frame (two weeks), will constitute a laboratory failure
and may constitute a clinical failure.
All students will be required to successfully complete a random Assessment and Skill Competency
Evaluation at the beginning of NUR 2020. The student must complete two randomly selected skills within
30 minutes. Failure to competently perform selected skills will result in referral to the campus laboratory
coordinator for on-campus remediation. The student will be allowed to retest one additional time. Failure
to remediate satisfactorily will result in campus laboratory failure and a final grade of "F" for the course.
Clinical Grading/Evaluation
The evaluative component of the clinical experience is comprised of:

• Successful completion of assigned nursing process papers.

• Direct observation and evaluation by nursing faculty.
  • Successful performance of nursing skills learned in the nursing lab.

The category of an automatic unsatisfactory is given when:

• The student performs an unsafe act, which could or does cause physical and/or psychological

jeopardy to the client.

• The student fails to complete the required skill checks in the allotted two weeks, thereby attending

clinical unprepared. Each unprepared day will constitute a clinical failure for that day. If the
student receives three clinical failures they will receive an automatic unsatisfactory.

• A student who receives an automatic unsatisfactory may be dismissed from the course and

receive a failing grade.
Clinical Grading
The final clinical evaluation is either satisfactory or unsatisfactory. The grade assigned is
Satisfactory/Pass or Unsatisfactory/Fail. The student must attain a Pass "P" in the clinical grade in order
to progress in the Nursing Courses.
Students must pass BOTH theory and clinical in order to pass the course.
The student who receives an unsatisfactory clinical evaluation at the end of the semester may not
progress to the next nursing course.
Attendance Policy:
It is the clear responsibility of the nursing students enrolled in the nursing program to maintain health and
wellness in order to meet the high demands and rigors of the nursing courses, including the clinical
expectations for satisfactory performance of nursing skills
.
Due to the concentrated nature of the curriculum, it is expected that students in the nursing
program attend ALL classes on time, as scheduled. This includes lecture, college laboratory, and
each clinical rotation.
Absence from Lecture
If unavoidable absence from lecture occurs, it is the student's responsibility to do the reading, any case
studies covered in the lecture, and obtain any handouts and notes from the lecture. If the student misses
more than 3 lectures, he/she must meet with the lead instructor. If the student knows in advance that a
lecture will be missed he/she should notify the instructor.
Absence from Lab
Students are expected to attend all labs. If there is an unavoidable absence the student must make-up
the missed lab. One lab make-up a semester will be permitted. The student must make an appointment
with the lab instructor to make-up the lab. The student must view any videotapes, present completed prelab
assignments and review the skill learned. The student will be responsible to make-up the lab in order
to have a peer check and a skill check done in the allotted two weeks. Failure to make-up the lab and
complete the skill check in the allotted time will result in failure for the clinical days that the
student is unprepared.
Absence from Clinical
Students are expected to attend all clinicals. When absences do occur; due to illness, family
emergency, another unavoidable situation, the student must call the clinical instructor two hours before
the start of clinical. The following is the policy concerning clinical absences:

• All clinical absences must be made-up.
  • If a second absence occurs, students must provide documentation from their physician,

clergy, court etc. explaining the absence and obtain the permission of the Lead Instructor &
the Director before approval is given for a make-up assignment.

• The method of make-up is at the discretion of the instructor. The date and time of the make-up

clinical will not be negotiable and must be attended. If the make-up clinical is missed, the
student will receive an "F" in clinical and will not progress.

• A third absence will result in immediate clinical failure.

Clinical Make-ups

• Students will need to sign up for the make-up clinical in advance.
  • The clinical make-up may be on-campus or at a clinical site.
  • Whether on-campus or at clinical site, students will be expected to arrive at pre-conference on

time and in uniform and stay until post-conference is finished.

• The student will be required to achieve the clinical objectives missed during their absence.
  • The student will also be expected to complete and hand in, on time, any written assignment due.

When a lab absence or clinical absence is not made-up the student may:

• Be withdrawn by the instructor, as per SCCC policy OR
  • Have the option of remaining in the classroom for the lecture component with no

clinical or college laboratory participation which will result in a final grade of "F" for
the course.
Students with Special Needs:
Any student who may need an accommodation based on the impact of a disability should speak to me
privately to discuss specific needs. Also, please contact Ms. Eileen Howell within The Department of
Learning and Student Development at (href="http://www.justanswer.com/law/4i7rb-nuring-instructor-changed-course-outline-not-adhere.html45)(NNN) NNN-NNNNx 432href="http://www.justanswer.com/law/4i7rb-nuring-instructor-changed-course-outline-not-adhere.html to establish eligibility and to coordinate
reasonable accommodations. Certain students with disabilities may want to plan to visit me regularly
throughout the semester for help and advice with schoolwork.
ANGEL Course Management System (CMS):
All course handouts (ie: assignments, unit outlines, powerpoints, case studies, etc.) will be posted on
Angel. The expectation is that everyone log on at least twice weekly to check for schedule changes,
announcements, etc,)
Additional Information:
Clinical Agencies:
Catskill Regional Medical Center, Harris, NY
Bon Secours Community Hospital, Port Jervis, NY
Sullivan County Public Health, Liberty, NY
Orange Regional Medical Center, Middletown, NY
Outline of Topics:
Unit IA: Course Overview and Role of the Nurse in Health Restoration
Unit IB: Nursing Process Related to Muscular-Skeletal Function
Throughout the Life Cycle
Unit IIA: Nursing Process Related to Sensory-Neural Function Throughout
the Life Cycle
Unit IIB: Nursing Process Related to Alterations in Cognition/Perception
Throughout the Life Cycle
Unit III: Nursing Process Related to Alterations in Metabolism Throughout
the Life Cycle
Unit IV: Nursing Process Related to Alterations in Oxygenation
Throughout the Life Cycle
Unit VA: Nursing Process Related to Alterations in Tissue Perfusion
Throughout the Life Cycle
Unit VB: Nursing Process Related to Alterations in Peripheral Circulation
Throughout the Life Cycle

Attendance Policy:
It is the clear responsibility of the nursing students enrolled in the nursing program to maintain health and wellness in order to meet the high demands and rigors of the nursing courses.
If unavoidable absence from lecture occurs, it is the student's responsibility to do the reading and complete the worksheets. If the student misses more than 3 lectures, he/she must meet with the instructor. If the student knows in advance that a lecture will be missed he/she should notify the instructor.
ANGEL Course Management System (CMS):
Additional course information that is common to all courses and specific to this course is found in the Course Information Folder located in the Learning Modules Tab. Log in to ANGEL at http://sullivan.sln.suny.edu
Additional Information:
Withdrawal Policy
Students with two or more weeks' absences (two or more classes, in a class that meets once a week) before the tenth week of the semester may be withdrawn from the course, fail the course, or receive a lower grade, depending on the instructor's policies written in this course outline. Students whose excessive absences occur after the tenth week of class will receive a W for the course grade only in unusual circumstances and with the approval of the Chair of Health, Social, and Behavioral Sciences. In other words, students who continue to attend and participate in class after the tenth week of class will not, except in unusual circumstances, receive a withdrawal.
Academic Dishonesty/Plagiarism
"Plagiarism, the use of another's words or ideas without giving proper credit, and cheating, are violations of ethical behavior within the academic community." Plagiarism or other acts of academic dishonesty, will not be tolerated. Violations of the code of student conduct must be reported to the Chair of the Division, and disciplinary action will be taken. If the act is caught after the semester has ended, action may still be taken with a grade change. Unless the instructor authorizes otherwise, all assignments must be original work created for this specific class. Students who commit acts of academic dishonesty will be penalized in the following capacity: First infraction will result in a score of 0 for the assignment; a second infraction will result in a grade of F for the course. All assigned papers must be submitted through a Turnitin Dropbox in the course ANGEL site
:
Hi Cosmo,

The Committee finds that the grade you received in NUR 2020 last semester is justified. After reviewing the grade sheet for the course, it was evident that the two lowest quiz grades were dropped and that the final grade was calculated according to the course outline. Please contact me via email if you have any questions regarding the Committee's finding.

Mr. Pollack
Mr. Pollack

The missing quizzes was only one small part of my appeal. I addressed time mismanagement. I address bias due to my dyslexia. I addressed not adhering to her course outline. Just to name a few of the issues I had. What were the findings regarding those ?
I request a formal hearing. I also request in writing SCCC grounds for grade appeal with examples.
A double standard is clearly evident in regard to student responsibilities versus the instructors.

Cosmo
On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 5:49 PM, Dave Pollack <XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX> wrote
Hi Cosmo,

I did receive your email. The claim of time mismanagement and bias due to a learning disability is not relevant to an academic grade appeal. Any concerns you have regarding the way the course was taught need to be addressed with Professor Belgard as Director of the Nursing Program and/or Professor Art Riegal as Division Chairperson. Any concerns you have regarding bias due to a learning disability need to be addressed with Ms. Sharon Sand, Director of Human Resources. After reviewing the grade sheet for the course, the Committee found that the course outline was adhered to and recommends that you contact Professor Belgard or Professor Sachakov to review your grades and how your final grade was calculated. I also have a copy of Professor Belgard's written response to your appeal and suggest you come in to pick it up next week when I'm on campus on a regular basis. I am attaching a copy of the academic grievance procedures which outlines the grade appeal process. Examples of grade appeals are given in paragraph 2 on page 1 under the heading INDIVIDUAL FINAL GRADE APPEALS. The purpose of a formal hearing is to introduce new facts and evidence not previously considered during the informal interviews or to address concerns of procedural violations with respect to the grievance procedures. While it is your right to request a formal hearing, any information the Committee already considered at the informal interviews will not be reconsidered at the formal hearing. The next available date the Committee can meet for a formal hearing is Thursday 1/27. I am copying Professor Belgard and Professor Riegal on this email.

Mr. Pollack

Date:1/23/2011 11:44:53 PM
From:Bartoli, Cosmo
To:BELGARD, DONNA
Subject:Letter From Mrs. Bartoli

Dear Mrs. Belgard,
The appeals committee has informed Cosmo of their inconsequential finding and have tossed the ball back to your court. Although they consider cases of "serious academic injury" to students, They have informed us that course mismanagement is to be addressed to the department head and the Chair.
There are no second chances for Cosmo. He is not a young man in a position to put his education on hold for five years. The harsh reality of our life makes it financially impossible for him to take NUR2020 again in September. Frankly, We are supporting and caring for his seventy-seven year old mother and have borrowed from family to cover household expenses the past year. When his company downsized leaving Cosmo jobless we decided it was a blessing in disguise. Cosmo grabbed the opportunity to pursue a career in nursing he has desired in the years since my mother's passing. She became chronically ill many years ago. We became her primary care givers. He showed an aptitude and passion for nursing I never dreamed he possessed. He cared for her until that last night when all hope was gone, her respirator was finally disconnected and her wonderful heart gave up. How sad it is for the nursing profession to never realize such an asset.
Simply a 72.4 is a 72.4, how is it possible to appeal a final grade for any reason other than miscalculation?
Course Mismanagement. As you are fully aware the course was not executed with a predetermined lesson plan for the semester or any dates scheduled for exams. As a result of poor planning practice Ms. Sachakov was very behind in covering the material as she states often during numerous lectures (which is on Cosmo's video recorder if you require verification). She also repeatedly advises the students to read the text for further explanation and refuses to answer student questions (again recorded). However, she continued to arrive at class href="http://www.justanswer.com/law/4i7rb-nuring-instructor-changed-course-outline-not-adhere.html-10 minutes late and gave liberal ten minute breaks wasting precious lecture time. In speaking with numerous other students they concur they relied heavily on reading and rereading the assigned chapters to pass the latter exams not lecture. As you know her last three exams were exactly two weeks apart. Let us consider the magnitude and ramifications of her poor planning. For example, Unit IV (Respiratory) had reading assignments for six chapters (29-34) , one chapter (40) Pillitteri and Cox various pages over 210 pages in all. Most students can read a textbook at 150-1href="http://www.justanswer.com/law/4i7rb-nuring-instructor-changed-course-outline-not-adhere.html0 words per minute, on average a text book page contains 600-700 words or the ability to read about 4 minutes per page. The students first time reading the material has an approximate 50% comprehension. The second reading jumps to 70% (according to numerous websites). There were approximately 210 pages of assigned reading, multiplied by 4 minutes per page equals href="http://www.justanswer.com/law/4i7rb-nuring-instructor-changed-course-outline-not-adhere.html40 minutes, read twice equals 16href="http://www.justanswer.com/law/4i7rb-nuring-instructor-changed-course-outline-not-adhere.html0 minutes or twenty-eight hours of reading to prepare for this exam. The course outline states href="http://www.justanswer.com/law/4i7rb-nuring-instructor-changed-course-outline-not-adhere.html hours of work per week outside the lecture is expected. To overcome Cosmo's learning disability, he must outline, highlight key words and reread two or three times for him to attain the same 50% comprehension and repeat the process yet again for the 70% comprehension or somewhere between fifty-six and eight-four hours. Cosmo needed approximately 35 hours per week to complete this exams assigned reading. Considering Lecture, Clinical, Lab, Lab practice, Clinical Calculations, Commuting, Eating, Sleeping, Showering, Etc.. He had about thirty-eight hours a week to devote to study for all his classes, there was no recreational time. Clearly for Cosmo there was little time to study or practice questions. Let me now contrast the difference from Unit II (Neuro) where the material was covered over 4 weeks and had a reading assignment of five chapters or 139 pages or five hours of reading per week. Less material in twice the time. Truly in your opinion as the director is Neuro very difficult material? Is Respiratory easier? The text doesn't seem to validate that assumption can you?, or are we back to poor planning and unreasonable expectations. Excuse me for I digress, simply, Cosmo did poorly as direct result of unreasonable condensing the course material that was compounded by his dyslexia not his ability. I was a biology major in college with a minor in chemistry. I have been his study buddy for almost two years. He has mastered all the material with hard work and unfailing determination. The nature of the nursing questions are difficult for a student with reading dyslexia, his problem is not possessing the knowledge for the correct answer but the question. His challange to answer nursing questions is not applicable to the practical application of the nursing process.
This next subject does not relate to course mismanagement but to bias toward a student resulting in serious academic injury. I feel strongly Ms Sachakov clearly displayed unwarranted prejudice towards Cosmo. She was often short and rude to him belittling him as related to me and witnessed on several occasions by fellow students. On one such occasion she abruptly told Cosmo after he wished to discuss his first failing exam score, " You are still passing the course. Cosmo, I have students who are failing and still haven‘t seen me." Whether due to his sex or his disability only she can answer. He always scheduled appointments and as a reward every time was kept waiting five to ten minutes. At each meeting he was then informed they had to hurry up for a variety of reasons. On their last appointment not only was he kept waiting, but she had other students who did not have an appointment present, although she always required him to have an appointment.
Correct me if I am wrong but aren't students entitled to review their exams? Isn't this a required responsibility along with timely grading of exams and papers for all Instructors? Why was Cosmo denied the right to review all his exams? Why was he not permitted to review the full exam not just a hurry up and look at his wrong answers in fifteen minutes or less? What possible justifiable reason would teacher deny a learning disabled student the tools they need to succeed or any student? Has this institution any ethical standards or codes of conduct required of an instructor? How is this permitted? He would come home so disheartened and frustrated. He was determined to move forward and pass despite her treatment. He would read, reread and study.
Both of these issues addresses "series academic injury" to Cosmo.
Ms. Sachakov ran so far behind in her course outline of the material she was required to cover you (the Nursing Department) approved the movement and testing section VB into NUR2030. Which is unfair on so many levels but a reasonable solution. You have adjusted the rules to compensate for Ms Sachakov's course mismanagement of NUR2020 for a variety of excuses; she is new, she works so hard, she has such potential etc...
Back to Cosmo, again we return to a 72.4 is still a 72.4. How can you change that? I submit: If you change the requirement of this one semester of NUR2020 due to special circumstances to compensate for course mismanagement that the Nursing Department will accept a C to be 72 or a 70. Cosmo will move forward in his pursuit. I believe this is a fair and equitable solution. Cosmo should not give up his dream for the events of this past semester. You have the power to help dreams come true, Will You?
Thanks for your time,
Joan Bartoli
ps. I have not read your written response to Cosmo's appeal letter yet. He will pick it up today. I have not discussed this letter with Cosmo.

Academic Grievance

The Committee on the Standing of Students and Academic Appeal (hereafter referred to as the Committee) handles appeals regarding a course final grade, appeals of dismissals for academic reasons, and withdrawal of federal financial aid due to unsatisfactory progress.

In the case of appeals of student dismissals or withdrawal of federal financial aid due to unsatisfactory progress, the decision of the Committee is final.

The Committee will transmit its decision to the Vice President for Academic and Student Affairs, the Dean of Enrollment Management and Student Development, the Office of Registration Services, and the student. If the appeal is successful, then the student should contact an Academic Advisor to select courses for the upcoming semester and register. Sullivan County Community College Academic Policies and Procedures Fall 2006 College Catalog Part 7 of href="http://www.justanswer.com/law/4i7rb-nuring-instructor-changed-course-outline-not-adhere.html 5

In the case of a final grade received prior to the end of the semester as a result of violating a class attendance policy, the Committee will consult with the faculty member to determine if the student may be allowed to continue with the coursework until the grievance is resolved. (

Exception: Students withdrawn from a Nursing course due to violation of the attendance policy will not be permitted to continue with the coursework as specified under this clause). (Faculty Council February 2href="http://www.justanswer.com/law/4i7rb-nuring-instructor-changed-course-outline-not-adhere.html, 2006)

Individual Appeals

In order to provide a means to seek and obtain redress for grievances affecting a student individually, the following procedures should be followed. These are not intended and shall not be used to provide sanctions against faculty members. (Faculty Council February 2href="http://www.justanswer.com/law/4i7rb-nuring-instructor-changed-course-outline-not-adhere.html, 2006)

Where an individual student alleges, with particularity, that the actions of a faculty member have resulted in serious academic injury to the student, the matter shall be presented to the Committee on the Standing of Students and Academic Appeal for adjudication in accord with the following procedures. Serious academic injury includes, but is not necessarily limited to, the awarding of a lower course grade than that which the student has earned or suspension from a class.

Procedures

It is the responsibility of the student, before seeking to have a grievance adjudicated, to attempt to resolve the matter by personal conference with the faculty member concerned. If this is unsuccessful, the student must communicate with the Chairperson of the appropriate Division for consideration and adjustment by informal means. If assistance is desired at any point in this process, the student is free to contact the Assistant Vice President for Academic and Student Affairs. If the matter remains unresolved after five (5) working days after referral to the Division Chair has been made, the following grievance procedures shall be employed:

1. The aggrieved student will file a written statement of the grievance to the Chair of the Committee on the Standing of Students and Academic Appeal, who will notify the Vice President for Academic and Student Affairs. During vacations, the student will file the grievance with the Committee member in the Financial Aid Office. Normally, the Committee will not consider grievances after one full semester (eg, if a grade was given in the Spring semester, the appeal should be filed prior to the end of the following Fall semester).

2. The Chair of the Committee will send a copy of the grievance to the faculty member together with a copy of these regulations. The letter to the faculty member shall also be sent to the student and the appropriate Division chair. The faculty member will have five (5) working days to respond to the Chair of the Committee.

3. If clarification is needed, the Committee shall convene separate interviews with the student and the faculty member concerned within five (5) working days of receipt of the faculty member's response. These interviews shall not constitute a hearing and shall be

Sullivan County Community College Academic Policies and Procedures Fall 2006 College Catalog Part 7 of href="http://www.justanswer.com/law/4i7rb-nuring-instructor-changed-course-outline-not-adhere.html 6

preliminary in nature. Both parties have the right to the presence of a procedural advisor and/or an advocate. The Committee may consult with any other parties who may assist in its work to effect an adjustment. The Chair of the Committee shall notify the student, the faculty member, the appropriate Division Chair, and the Vice President for Academic and Student Affairs of the Committee's findings. Failure of the student to attend the informal interview may result in the grievance being dismissed with no further right to appea

A "State" university is a public school.

Unfortunately I can't analysis the entire thing you have presented as I have other customers waiting and we are not a lawfirm to represent. But from what I read you would have a case, especially since you have the support of Dr. Turner confirming that such grading was not fair. I would use Dr. Tuner as your expert witness as it does not seems fair that others were elevated in their score for not answering while your response got nothing. Hope that makes sense.