How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask LawHelpNow Your Own Question

LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 7639
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LawHelpNow is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need to put a lien on the equipment and inventory which I

Customer Question

I need to put a lien on the equipment and inventory which I loaned them money against. Which includes services. How do put the lien? How do I record it? Where do I find the paperwork? We are in las vegas, nv. Thank you.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 4 years ago.
Hi JACUSTOMER-h2zfiqh5-. Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-Do you have a chattel mortgage or financing statement on file to secure your loan or was this just an unsecured loan so that they could use it to buy the equipment?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
All of the equipment which includes freezers, walk ins, shelving, refrigerators, office equipment, tenant finish work done, signs, pos systems and computers, inventory of variable goods is are collatarel for the loan. We need to lien all the above that way if they go out of business they cannot take it with them. It belongs to us. Also, if they have any kind of disputes or litigation we want to be first in line with our lien. The lien is the security for the loan. I hope we explained it correctly otherwise please do not hesitate to write us back. Where do we get the forms / language and where do we file the lien in Las Vegas - Nevada, what are the details? Thank you much.
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 4 years ago.

Dear JACUSTOMER - From what you are saying you already have a security interest in the equipment if you have filed a financing statement or a chattel mortgage on the equipment so I can't say that there would be any other forms. The security agreement would be the same as a lien and give you first right to the equipment


In cases where there is no security agreement or financing statements on file then you would have to file a suit if the payments are not made and the judgment would then be the lien. I'm just not certain from your facts exactly what type of security agreement you already have in place. The financing statement forms are generally available at the local county recorder's office but these should have already been filed if the loan was secured.



Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We still need your help. No we do not have a security interest in the equipment andwe have not filed a financing statement or a chattel mortgage on the equipment. We need to file a lien like a WCC?? Is that what it is called? We still need to put a lien. The lien needs to say we are securing all of the equipment, inventory, etc as specified above. The loan is not secured where do we get all the forms and what kind of forms do we need? Thank you for your help and cooperation in this matter.
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 4 years ago.

I am going to have to opt out of your question and open this to the other experts since I'm not quite certain how you have the right to file a lien on an unsecured note and I don't want to give you any incorrect information.



Edited by Dave Kennett on 1/22/2011 at 2:44 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 4 years ago.

Thanks so much for choosing this forum to pose your important legal question. I will do my best to give you some honest and accurate guidance as I answer your question.


  1. I am a licensed attorney with business law experience. I will be glad to try and answer your questions seeing another legal expert has opted out. I hope that the following information will be helpful to you, but please just write back if you have any follow-up questions or need clarification on anything after reviewing the following information.
  2. "How do put the lien?" You would assert and protect your security interest (lien) by filing what is commonly called a UCC 1 (more formally titled a Financing Statement).
  3. "How do I record it?" You would record it with the Nevada Secretary of State. 101 North Carson Street, Suite 3, Carson City, Nevada 89701,(NNN) NNN-NNNN
  4. "Where do I find the paperwork?" The form, along with other information including a schedule of filing fees, are available online free of charge: Forms & Fees.
  5. I hope that makes sense, but please do not hesitate to write back if needed. I shall be signing off soon to attend to some other professional obligations. Please rest assured, however, that I will be sure to check for any updated posts from you when I return to this online forum. I hope all works out and that your business pursuits prosper.


I hope that this information has been helpful to you. If we can be of any further assistance please free to use our service again. Best wishes for a successful outcome.


If my answer has been helpful to you, please click "ACCEPT" so that I may be paid. This is the only way that I will receive compensation for the work performed. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.


The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice. By using this forum, you acknowledge that no attorney-client relationship has been created between you and Benjamin M. Burt, Jr., Esq. You should always consult with a lawyer in your state.

LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 7639
Experience: Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.
LawHelpNow and 9 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina


    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.