LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.

I need to put a lien on the equipment and inventory which I

I need to put a lien on the equipment and inventory which I loaned them money against. Which includes services. How do put the lien? How do I record it? Where do I find the paperwork? We are in las vegas, nv. Thank you.
Hi JACUSTOMER-h2zfiqh5-. Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-Do you have a chattel mortgage or financing statement on file to secure your loan or was this just an unsecured loan so that they could use it to buy the equipment?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
All of the equipment which includes freezers, walk ins, shelving, refrigerators, office equipment, tenant finish work done, signs, pos systems and computers, inventory of variable goods is are collatarel for the loan. We need to lien all the above that way if they go out of business they cannot take it with them. It belongs to us. Also, if they have any kind of disputes or litigation we want to be first in line with our lien. The lien is the security for the loan. I hope we explained it correctly otherwise please do not hesitate to write us back. Where do we get the forms / language and where do we file the lien in Las Vegas - Nevada, what are the details? Thank you much.

Dear JACUSTOMER - From what you are saying you already have a security interest in the equipment if you have filed a financing statement or a chattel mortgage on the equipment so I can't say that there would be any other forms. The security agreement would be the same as a lien and give you first right to the equipment

In cases where there is no security agreement or financing statements on file then you would have to file a suit if the payments are not made and the judgment would then be the lien. I'm just not certain from your facts exactly what type of security agreement you already have in place. The financing statement forms are generally available at the local county recorder's office but these should have already been filed if the loan was secured.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We still need your help. No we do not have a security interest in the equipment andwe have not filed a financing statement or a chattel mortgage on the equipment. We need to file a lien like a WCC?? Is that what it is called? We still need to put a lien. The lien needs to say we are securing all of the equipment, inventory, etc as specified above. The loan is not secured where do we get all the forms and what kind of forms do we need? Thank you for your help and cooperation in this matter.

I am going to have to opt out of your question and open this to the other experts since I'm not quite certain how you have the right to file a lien on an unsecured note and I don't want to give you any incorrect information.

Edited by Dave Kennett on 1/22/2011 at 2:44 AM EST
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks so much for choosing this forum to pose your important legal question. I will do my best to give you some honest and accurate guidance as I answer your question.

1. I am a licensed attorney with business law experience. I will be glad to try and answer your questions seeing another legal expert has opted out. I hope that the following information will be helpful to you, but please just write back if you have any follow-up questions or need clarification on anything after reviewing the following information.
  2. "How do put the lien?" You would assert and protect your security interest (lien) by filing what is commonly called a UCC 1 (more formally titled a Financing Statement).
  3. "How do I record it?" You would record it with the Nevada Secretary of State. 101 North Carson Street, Suite 3, Carson City, Nevada 89701,(NNN) NNN-NNNN
  4. "Where do I find the paperwork?" The form, along with other information including a schedule of filing fees, are available online free of charge: Forms & Fees.
  5. I hope that makes sense, but please do not hesitate to write back if needed. I shall be signing off soon to attend to some other professional obligations. Please rest assured, however, that I will be sure to check for any updated posts from you when I return to this online forum. I hope all works out and that your business pursuits prosper.

I hope that this information has been helpful to you. If we can be of any further assistance please free to use our service again. Best wishes for a successful outcome.

If my answer has been helpful to you, please click "ACCEPT" so that I may be paid. This is the only way that I will receive compensation for the work performed. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.

The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice. By using this forum, you acknowledge that no attorney-client relationship has been created between you and Benjamin M. Burt, Jr., Esq. You should always consult with a lawyer in your state.

LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Experience: Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.