Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.

how do I get a police clearance certficate from California

Customer Question

how do I get a police clearance certficate from California or Massachussettes? This is for a possible job working in a hospital in the U.S. Territory of the Northern Mariana Islands
Expert:  Andrea, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Did you live in both States?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, I lived in California from 1977 to 1986 and in Massachussettes in 1989. I have lived outside the U.S. since August 1989. I have used addresses of friends in both to take care of personal matters. My bank account is in MASS. While my driver's license is in California.

Did they specifically request a police clearance certificate or could you use a background check which would include all states ?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
From my E-mail from them"

i) original police clearance from your nearby county or state on company letterhead,

I'm sure the place in Saipan would accept a background check - but from what I can gather California at least will not because of civil liberties concerns provide background checks except for certain approved agencies and certain approved jobs such a child care providers.

I was trying to save you some money, however, I double checked and found that the law changed in 2009 and now requires a separate clearance certificate from each state, even where the applicant previously submitted an FBI clearance certificate.

Therefore, the fastest and best way to get a Police Clearance Certificate from each State is to contact an attorney so that he can submit your application to the police authorities and request the clearance certificate. You do not need to use a separate attorney for each state. You can use the same attorney to submit your application in both California and Massachusetts.

Please press "ACCEPT" so that I can receive credit for assisting you, That is the only way I get paid

BONUS and POSITIVE FEEDBACK are appreciated

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Actually, I found out that what I actually need is much more simple - a basic county police clearance:

For San Francisco County this is all I have to do:

How do I get a clearance report?

There are 2 ways to obtain a SFPD Clearance Report:

1. In person with valid identification during business hours (Monday - Friday, excluding holidays; 8 a.m. - 3p.m.)

2. By mail with a notarized request

Requests are submitted to:

San Francisco Police Department
ID SectionXXXXX, Room 475
San Francisco, CA 94103

Fee: $5.00 - Cashier's Check/Money Order. Cash payments accepted for in person requests.

For questions, please call XXX-XXX-XXXX

Most local police and sheriff departments will give out such clearances just by asking,

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX store the information with my other research

It is basically the same information I gave you, except, suggested going through an attorney to get it faster.

You had not specified the county in California, so I suggested a Police Clearance Certificate for the State. I do hope that the Police Clearance Certificate you receive from the San Francisco Police Department covers the entire State, otherwise a Police Clearance Certificate from one county doesn't give much information, For example, assume someone commintted crimes in Los Angeles County and told a prospective employer that he lived in San Mateo County all his life. The employer asks for a Police Clearance Certificate from San Mateo County which they send to the prospective employer, but shows only any crimes committed in San Mateo County. Of what use would this incompete Police Clerance Certificate be to the prospective employer if it shows none of the convictions in Los Angeles County ?

Thanks again,