LawHelpNow
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.
6761470

My 20 year old daughter going to school at UNC Charlotte, NC

My 20 year old daughter going to school at UNC Charlotte, NC just got a ticket from ALE for underage drinking. This is first offense ever of any kind. She was at someone else's apartment when authorities showed up answering complaint of noise. While not critical her breathalizer results was .06. What are our choices and will this affect her auto-insurance?
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 6 years ago.

Thanks so much for choosing this forum to pose your important legal question. I will do my best to give you some honest and accurate guidance as I answer your question.

1. I am a licensed attorney with criminal law and insurance experience. I will be glad to try and answer your questions. I hope that the following information will be helpful to you, but please just write back if you have any follow-up questions or need clarification on anything after reviewing the following information.
  2. "What are our choices and will this affect her auto-insurance?" In terms of legal options, essentially your daughter has three choice available to her. First, she could admit culpability and enter a plea of guilty. Secondly, she could claim innocence and take the matter to trial. Thirdly, she could take a middle of the road option and negotiate a plea bargain, which is how the great majority of similar matters are disposed of. The most important consideration is that she make an informed decision by knowing the ramifications and discussing the best course of action with legal counsel. The penalty range for this offense includes fines, Court costs, and possible confinement. While rare and not to be expected under the usual circumstances, she should be aware that imprisonment is one of the statutorily prescribed punishments available to the sentencing Judge. These criminal consequences are in additional to adverse civil implications such as impaired educational and career opportunities. The most imperative need at this juncture is for her to speak with a criminal defense attorney without delay. She could schedule a consultation for $50 through the Lawyer Referral Service. Regarding your second inquiry concerning insurance rates, your best bet would be to contact your insurer directly. However, I can say that under North Carolina law, an insurance premium increase of 400 (four hundred) percent for the next three years would be customary.
  3. I hope that makes sense, but please do not hesitate to write back if needed. I shall be signing off soon to attend to some other professional obligations. Please rest assured, however, that I will be sure to check for any updated posts from you when I return to this online forum. I hope this matter gets resolved appropriately.

I hope that this information has been helpful to you. If we can be of any further assistance please free to use our service again. Best wishes for a successful outcome.

If my answer has been helpful to you, please click "ACCEPT" so that I may be paid. This is the only way that I will receive compensation for the work performed. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.

The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice. By using this forum, you acknowledge that no attorney-client relationship has been created between you and Benjamin M. Burt, Jr., Esq. You should always consult with a lawyer in your state.