ScottyMacEsq, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

I RECEIVED A CHECK FROM ANTHEM BLUE CROSS FOR $1359. I CASHED

Customer Question

I RECEIVED A CHECK FROM ANTHEM BLUE CROSS FOR $1359. I CASHED IT NOW THEY SENT ME A LETTER SAYING I OWE THEM THAT MONEY. IT WAS NOT MY FAULT THEIR BILLING DEPARTMENT MADE A MISTAKE. DO I HAVE ANY RECOURSE?
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 6 years ago.

ScottyMacEsq :

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am researching your issue and will respond shortly.

ScottyMacEsq :

Why did they send you this check?

Customer :

DON'T KNOW IT JUST CAME

Customer :

don't know

ScottyMacEsq :

Unfortunately, no. If there's some dispute as to whether you were owed this amount, then you could legally keep it. But in the instance where it is clear that they made a mistake, such a situation falls under the legal theory of "unjust enrichment". What that means is that when you make a mistake, another party is not legally allowed to benefit from this mistake (roughly speaking). This is the law in every single state and there's really no recourse for you, I'm sorry to say. Legally speaking, if this was a mistake, then they can get the money back from you. You can either give it to them willingly, or they can take you to court and sue you for it, but they can get it.

ScottyMacEsq :

I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but it's the law. I hope that clears things up anyway. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please select the "accept" button. If you do click "accept", or if you will in the future, please let me know so I can track these for my own reports and customer satisfaction stats. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX good luck to you!

Customer :

don't know

ScottyMacEsq :

I'm sorry? What does "Don't know" refer to?