GeorgetownLawyr, Attorney
Experience:  10+ Years Experience in Civil Litigation, Family, Probate and Immigration Law.

Does the Affidavit of Support ever expire I filled the affidavit

Customer Question

Does the Affidavit of Support ever expire? I filled the affidavit for my mother in 2002. Is it still valid? I am trying to get her WA Basic health benefits, but was told that she is not eligible since she has a sponsor. Thank you
Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 5 years ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be helping you resolve your matter.

Please remember there may be a delay as I may be helping other customers.

Is your mother employed? Has she been working? if so, for how long?
When does she plan to apply for u.s. citizenship?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

My mother is not employed, she is 72. She has never worked in the USA. She is eligible to apply for the us citizenship in 1.5 years.

Thank you.

The affidavit of support ends when she becomes a u.s. citizen OR has worked 10 years and earned social security credits. since she will never work, it will end when she applies for citizenship.

I hope this helps. Please click "accept" so that I receive credit for answering your question. I will be happy to reply to a follow up on this issue at no extra cost. Your Positive feedback is appreciated. If you want to request me in the future type "TO GEORGETOWNLAWYR" in the subject line and if I am not online I will answer asap. Thanks and best regards.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I am in WA state and trying get a state health card to cover a part of the hospital stay. So far she has been denied due to the sponsorship. Is there anything you can recommend I can try? The original affidavit was expiring after 5 years and I filed it in 2002. Should I try to approach form that angle or you think it is a waste of my time. Thank you.

The affidavit doesn't expire in 5 years, that is not correct. as I said the obligation of the I-864 continues until the person becomes a u.s. citizen or earns enough social security credits through working. I do not know anything about WA state health care, I just know when your obligation ends under the I-864 and I doubt you can get around it right now....sorry.