Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I have been harassed for several months now regarding a student

I have been harassed for several months now regarding a student loan that I never received and never attended the school in question. The agency says they will garnish my wages in 15 days from the date of my current notice if I don't provide certain information regarding my attendance and the closure of the school. I've been trying to acquire this information with no results. The School closed nearly 25 years ago and I can't seem to get any information regarding its records. My question is can this agency attach my wages without a formal judgment? I have also requested both in writing and verbally documentation of the original debt and any other paperwork that is available. I have received no such documents.
If they have not complied with the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act in providing proof required under that act, then you would need to file suit against them because they will file for garnishment and then you will still have to file suit against them to get the garnishment removed. It is best to file your suit under the FDCPA and seek your attorney's fees and up to $1000 for each violation of the act they have committed. It is pretty hard for you or anyone to prove a negative (that you did not attend school there or did not have the loans) but if you have any evidence at all you need to send them copies to prove that you did not owe the money. If it goes to court and if they cannot prove the debt, they cannot win.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This helps immessurably. I will send what info I have and request more time to try to obtain the records I need. Thanks Paul.
Thank you.