Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.

Hi.. question - a person buys a vehicle for another. Title is fully in receiver

Hi.. question - a person buys a vehicle for another. Title is fully in receivers name. No proof of any financial agreement between the 2 parties other than purchaser has cancelled check for purchase. Verbal agreement between parties is to "pay back when you can." Is there any merit to a case for Grand Theft/Larceny? Is there any statute of limitations? What if the vehicle purchased was taken out of state?

Based on the facts you provide, there is no basis for any kind of criminal charge. If the person who bought the vehicle now claims that it wasn't a gift, and the other person owes him the money for it, that is strictly a civil matter. Removing the vehicle from the state wouldn't change that.

I believe I have answered your question. Your ACCEPT would be greatly appreciated. If you wish clarification concerning my answer to your original question, please send me a "Reply".
If you have additional questions, I would be happy to assist, but as a courtesy I respectfully XXXXX XXXXX you ACCEPT the answer to your first question before branching off into other new questions. BONUSES for quick and helpful responses are very appreciated.
If you do not agree with my answer or feel that it is incomplete, you should ask me for clarification or to opt out in favor of another expert. Accepting and paying for the answer just to leave negative feedback is inappropriate and will result in you receiving the same.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is there any statute of limitations in IL for this matter?

Thanks for the accept and feedback. The statute of limitations on a civil contract case, which is what yours is would be five years.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks...if I accept this answer, would I be charged $38 again?

Yes. A second accept would trigger a second payment. You asked about a statute of limitations in your original question, which I didn't answer. Why not consider this a follow up clarification answer. No need for another accept.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you and Happy New Year to you!

You're welcome, and Happy New Year to you too.