JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Attorney
Experience:  Explains legal matters based on 14+ years experience.
14211116

My husband was injured at work, but went to his own doctor

My husband was injured at work, but went to his own doctor instead of medworks. he required surgery on his lower back, for a ruptured disc and a herniated disc. The surgery left his left leg numb. Which was a possibility the doctor informed us of. We hired a lawyer to get workman's comp, but was denied. We were able to collect for 5 years from long term disability insurance. My husband was classified as partially disabled. My husband has since been part-time employed as a chef, and is always in pain. Since he worked for a municipality for 18 years, he has fewer quarters paid into the social security system. But I feel there is got to be some sort of compensation out there that we qualify for, I just can't find it myself. If there is something I'm missing could you point me in the right direction?   Sincerely XXXXX XXXXX xxxxxx e-mail [email protected]
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 5 years ago.

JB Umphrey :

Thank you for using JustAnswer!

JB Umphrey :

I am sorry to learn of your husband's circumstances.

JB Umphrey :

From the facts that you've described, the only other available resource to possibly pursue would be for social security disability.

JB Umphrey :

One can begin the online application process at: http://www.ssa.gov/pgm/disability.htm

JB Umphrey :

Good luck and best wishes for better days ahead.

JB Umphrey :

I hope that you find this information to be helpful and this answer to be ACCEPTable!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have tried to apply but unless my husband can not for 12 months,they give no explanation as to where to turn,I can not complete the form required, if they don't allow me at least not online. it ends me right there.
Unfortunately, there are no other public resources that are available for the circumstances you've described. It is a strong illustration, however, of the absolute necessity for an employee to report a work-injury and submit a workers comp claim immediately.