MShore
MShore, Attorney
Experience:  Negotiate, Draft, and Review many complex commercial agreements each year.
17924466

my now ex-girlfriend enticed me into building her a salon.

Customer Question

my now ex-girlfriend enticed me into building her a salon. we agreed when i started building it for her that i would get a new t.v. out of the situation. we were together through the building process of the salon. when it was completed she moved out and we broke up. what r my options?
Expert:  MShore replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the post, was there any contract or written agreement? If not, are there any witnesses to the verbal agreement? I ask because there is a presumption the money and effort extended for the creation of the salon was a gift.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
there was no written contract or paperwork. i do have a roomate that has witnessed the discussion. it started as a gift but as we went along i asked her if i cud get something out of the deal because i was investing a lot of time and money
Expert:  MShore replied 6 years ago.
ok, can your roommate testify to hearing this verbal agreement reached? If not, it would be construed as a gift.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes, im only seeking 1500$ in small claims
Expert:  MShore replied 6 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX in this case is a small claims suit against your ex-girlfriend for the $1500, you will likely need your roommate to submit a written and signed affidavit if he cannot appear at the hearing.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok, how do I get an affidavit?
Expert:  MShore replied 6 years ago.
Your witness would need to draft it, either in printed handwriting or a typed statement, and sign the bottom indicating that the statements contained in it are true and accurate, and offered under oath.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
so nothing else i required for the afidavit? i dont have to have anything else?
Expert:  MShore replied 6 years ago.
No, you do not have to do anything else regarding creating the affidavit.