Alexia Esq.
Alexia Esq., Managing Attorney
Experience:  19 Years of Legal Practice Experience in this precise field.
10805288

I adopted 2 dogs from a rescue in Abilene. When I got them

I adopted 2 dogs from a rescue in Abilene. When I got them home I realized they were very ill. I let the person I adopted them from know and she agreed to return my adoption fee of 400.00. I did sign a contract but she on more than one occasion via e-mail said she would return my money. Could I take her to small claims court?

Welcome!

I am an attorney with 17+ years of legal experience and am working diligently on your answer while I await your response. Please know that if you have not paid your JustAnswer deposit, you will be unable to view my answer, so please let me know when you are ready to view my answer.

Thanks!

Edited by AlexiaEsq. on 1/1/2011 at 5:53 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have made a deposit.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It says my ? Has been answered but where?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What else do u need?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm ready to view your answer.
I'll be back shortly, I was in the middle of a request. Be right back, and thanks!
Hi again, with regard to your post:

I adopted 2 dogs from a rescue in Abilene. I commend you! Rescued dogs I find to be the best of man's friends (or women's, as the case may be).

When I got them home I realized they were very ill. I let the person I adopted them from know and she agreed to return my adoption fee of 400.00. I did sign a contract

Did the contract indicate that you were adopting a healthy dog? Or one that did not have any "apparent" health issues other than those disclosed?

but she on more than one occasion via e-mail said she would return my money.

Could I take her to small claims court?If the contract indicated that you were adopting a healthy dog - yes, I believe you can. You can also include a claim for the vet bills you must have incurred to get them well or otherwise treat them. Those vet bills will prove the dogs were sick and will also likely show that clearly they were sick before you got them (since it showed up upon getting them home, which was presumably close in time to when you adopted/picked them up).

It may be that when you make it clear that you will be suing for her breach of the contract and return of your adoption fee, that you will be including a claim for those vet bills of $hundreds of dollars.....however, if she wants to settle now for the adoption fee, you will absorb the cost of the vet....She may bite (no pun intended).

Please press the ACCEPT button so I may be credited and paid for my time by Justanswer.com, so PRO BONO work for the disabled may continue over the holiday/winter season. You may always follow up with me after doing so. Positive feedback and a BONUS added to your donation are also always appreciated. Thank you and the best of luck.