Ellen, Lawyer, Consultant
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

I recently came out of the hospital with over 20,000 dollars

I recently came out of the hospital with over 20,000 dollars in medical bills. My social worker told me I can't own a vehicle worth over 3,000 dollars or I won't qualify for medicaid. Is it legal to sign my 20,000 dollar jeep over to a relative who would take over the payments and let me use the vehicle?
Expert:  Ellen replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you.

I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. While I am permitted to provide you with legal information, I am prohibited by JustAnswer.com and various state bar associations from giving legal advice, representing you or entering into an attorney-client relationship through this open and nonconfidential forum.

Unfortunately planning for Medicaid purposes must take place 5 years prior to the Medicaid recipient's need for Medicaid. Any transfers made within the five-year period, are considered assets of the Medicaid recipient in determining whether the Medicaid recipient qualifies for Medicaid.

That said you may consider selling your vehicle and using the proceeds for your living expenses rather than gifting the vehicle to your relative.

If you would like additional details concerning my answer, please click REPLY and I will be happy to respond. Otherwise please click ACCEPT so that I am paid by the site. Do not click relist as it will delay my response.

Best wishes for a Happy and Healthy New Year!