Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.

My ex husbands girlfriend is threatening me to file criminal

Customer Question

My ex husbands girlfriend is threatening me to file criminal harassment charges and file a restraining order against me over texts I sent her. The texts never threatened her life or anything but were pretty severe in the name calling dept. Unfortunately, I had been drinking and was upset that my children was with them on Christmas day so I admitt I was out of line. My ex husband and her live together. It occured to me that if she does file a restraint order against me, will she be able to see my children with their father? Although, I share custody w/my ex, they live with me and not their father. Their father and this women live together. How will that work with the children?
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Good morning. If all you sent her were texts and these texts were confined to a short period of time, then the girlfriend is pretty much threatening only to make you stop because that is not going to amount to enough to substantiate an harassment criminal charge. But, if it continues, it not only could be enough for an harassment charge but also cyberstalking...which has now been codified as a crime to deal with texts, emails, etc. You need not worry at this time as long as this was an isolated event, but you will need to discontinue any further communication with this girl. Next time you have the urge, write it on paper and then throw it away....sending a text or an email causes it to live forever.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.