JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Attorney
Experience:  Explains legal matters based on 14+ years experience.

In May of 2009 I was injured in a car accident which was not

In May of 2009 I was injured in a car accident which was not my fault. I had a total knee replacement the previous August and it was healing very well. During the accident, the knee was sprained and I had to rehab it all over agian. I was able to do this at home under the advice of my surgeon, but the process took six months. I also suffered a fractured collarbone and soft tissue injury around the collarbone.In September of 2009, I went through a course of physical therapy which took 2 months, 3 times a week. After many months of persistent problems with the collarbone, I went through another 8 weeks of physical therapy, twice a week. I now have to do minor exercises several times a week to keep the collarbone flexible. I am ready to settle on my injuries and my question is what a fair offer from the insurance company might be?
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 3 years ago.

JB Umphrey :

Thank you for using JustAnswer!

JB Umphrey :

I am sorry to learn of your circumstances.

JB Umphrey :

Have you consulted with any local personal injury attorneys about your matter?

Customer :

not yet

JB Umphrey :

You may want to consider doing so.

JB Umphrey :

There is no such thing as a "fair offer" from an insurance company.

JB Umphrey :

They have one objective: resolve the claim as cheaply as possible.

Customer :

I would like to get your opinion and then see what the company offers me. Then speak with an attorney if I feel the need

JB Umphrey :

No expert can give you an opinion on value because we do not have the benefit of reviewing the accident reports, your medical records, having you undergo an independent medical examination, or being able to review the insurance policy at issue.

JB Umphrey :

Valuation is not a cookie-cutter exercise.

JB Umphrey :

There are so many variables which can affect value.

Customer :

In 1991, I broke my knee in a car accident. At the time I hired an attorney. He told me that a broken knee was worth 25,000. that was what he got me.

JB Umphrey :

Congratulations.

Customer :

If i speak to the agent and I don't feel that he is offering me enough, I guess that I should tell him that I will talk to attorney about the case

Customer :

I guess that I feel that I would be sastisfied with about 20,000. ging on the info that I have provided, do you think that is fair?

JB Umphrey :

I am sorry but the site rules of JustAnswer do not allow me to offer you a number.

JB Umphrey :

I can, however, strongly encourage you to first consult with a local personal injury attorney. Many times, the first consultation is free.

JB Umphrey :

Good luck and best wishes for better days ahead.

JB Umphrey :

I hope that you find this information to be helpful and this answer to be ACCEPTable!

Customer :

So speaking with you has not been at all helpful. all you have advised is that I speak with an attorney which is what I thought I was doing

JB Umphrey, Attorney
Experience: Explains legal matters based on 14+ years experience.