Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in both state and federal court.
45002201

my son is 17 yrs old yes a minor is it allowed for him to check

my son is 17 yrs old yes a minor is it allowed for him to check in to a hotel by himself without a parent present or do i have to check in with him the sate im inquiring about in california thanks for your pront attention
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 6 years ago.

TexLawyer :

Technically, no. A hotel agreement is a contract, and only an adult can enter into a contract.

TexLawyer :

You may contact the hotel and ask about their specific policy. Some may be willing to waive that requirement for a 17 year old, and may want you to give them a credit card before your son checks in.

Customer :

ok thank you so the law states that a minor being 17 may not check in to a hotel by himself is that correct?

TexLawyer :

That is technically correct, but, as I said, some hotels may be willing to work with you. But, under the law, they have no obligation to do so and could refuse to allow a 17 year old to stay.

TexLawyer :

Is there anything else I can help you with?

Customer :

thank you sir