Joseph
Joseph, Attorney
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in the legal field, currently specializing in criminal and family law
18539850

My wife hit a cow about an hour ago on a country road. We live

My wife hit a cow about an hour ago on a country road. We live in Oregon and it was not an "open range". It happened at night and the cow was black. There were no serious injuries to my wife or children and apparently the cow survived but was injured. According to the police officers on scene this particular property's cows have been hit numerous times in the past year and the owners have been warned. Damages might be 5-10k for my vehicle and I don't know if whiplash or anything is yet an issue. I have good insurance but will the property owners insurance be liable and will I have a case for a suit?

The owner of the cow has liability here. As the owner, it is his responsibility to properly secure the cows. If he didn't, and injury to person or property ensues, he is responsible for that damage.

You need to provide all of the information from the accident to your insurance company. They should handle the claim for you. Before stating that your wife suffered no injuries, you may want to wait a few days, some injuries, such as to the back or neck, may take a few days to manifest themselves.

Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Joseph,

Thanks I accept that answer, one more thing though, what should I do if they don't have any homeowner's insurance? Thanks Jesse

Then the owner would be personally liable and the lawsuit, if necessary, would be filed against him.