Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years exp all aspects of general law
20355756

In May of this year, 2010 I was released from employment from

In May of this year, 2010 I was released from employment from TPI Composites in Newton Iowa. They are a Wind Blade Manufacturer in our town. I am now 60 and haven't been able to get a new job. I was a supervisor with this company and had previous good standing, and actually was sent to China to gain knowledge in the industry. I was never told that my performance was unsatisfactory and was actually commended on my supervisory knowledge and experience by my first year supervisor. I was there two years before being released. I and another supervisor age 57 were release during a downturn in their production, saying that our position was being eliminated. I have the letter that was given to me. There were no letters or disclipine for poor performance, nothing. Our positions that were supposedly eliminated still exist to younger folks. Finding it really hard to find re-mployement in similiar job or pay scale. Is this a case for Age Discrimination??? Mad and upset on Iowa
Expert:  Legalease replied 5 years ago.

Hello. If the job(s) were legitimately eliminated by the company, then you would not have a claim for age discrimination. However, if the positions are still open and the company filled the position(s) with younger people after you and the other person were let go, then you may very well have a claim for age discrimination (Age discrimination can be actionable if you are over 40 and let go from a position).. If what they did turns out to be unlawful under the age discrimination laws, then what you signed regarding not taking action against them will be null and void. Your best bet at this point is to contact your local office of the Iowa civil rights commission which, in turn, will file a complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), Here is an internet link to the Iowa Civil Rights Commission website:

http://www.state.ia.us/government/crc/faqs/index.html

GOOD LUCK

Please press the GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON so I will be paid for my time. Even if you have placed a deposit or have otherwise paid Just Answer, I am not paid anything until you press ACCEPT at the bottom of or on the side of this ANSWER Box.

THANK YOU & HAPPY NEW YEAR!