Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

My wife became disabled at work. She was crying, said she was

My wife became disabled at work. She was crying, said she was unable to stop, and didnt know why. She left work and went to our family doctor, the doctor put her off work for three days, prescribed meds to help with sleep. when she returned to the doctor, he put her off indefinitely. Approximately 30 minutes after her employer was informed, she recieved a text from her immediate supervisor. The text read, "While u r off work better find u a new job." The facility administrator also told her during a phone conversation, that when she returned to work she was going to "have a rough road". Am in the process of filing a complaint with EEOC, as we regard both incidents as threats. Have contactrd our local congressmans office, and all documentation will be sent undercover from his office. Also considering a complaint with OSHA re-violence in the workplace. My wife is now seeing a counselor through her employers assistance program and has been diagnosed with Mood Disorder and possible traumatic stress disorder. She is currently on short term disability and has been approved for FMLA. She is worried that if we follow through with the complaints her employer will find a way to terminate her. She works in the private sector and all my experience is Federal. Do we have a good case, and should we proceed as I have outlined?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
She needs to file a complaint with the US Department of Labor regarding violations of the FMLA and that text she received is evidence together with the administrator telling her that she would be subjected to retaliation when she returns. At this point she needs to get herself an attorney as well now to represent her against the employer. Very few OSHA claims for violence in the workplace go very far unless there is obvious physical violence, so the FMLA complaint is likely going to be her best bet here.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What about the EEOC complaint re- discriminatio against a disabled person?
If she has a permanent disability that impairs a major life function, then she would indeed also have a complaint to file with the EEOC as well.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Both the text and the threat from the FA came before approval of FMLA. Does this have any bearing.
If she was out on leave that they knew is leave that would be covered under FMLA it can still be considered retaliation and threats (and actually trying to get her not to use the leave).