Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

In the state of Maryland can Pepco turn off your electric during

In the state of Maryland can Pepco turn off your electric during the winter months?
Expert:  Ely replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

What was the reason they shut it off - outstanding account?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well I am unable to pay it because I have exausted all of my unemployment... although the President has signed a bill extending unemployment I don't know when it will take affect.....
I recieved notice that they will be cuting the electric off today but as of right now it's still on (THANK GOD) but they are not willing to make arrangements because I don't have what they are asking for....I heard that they wouldn't turn it off when the temperature is at a certain point but I don't know how true that is....I really hope you can help.....
Expert:  Ely replied 5 years ago.
I am sorry to say that generally speaking, yes they can. The electric company is under no compulsion to provide service if its bill is not paid. If it is the only company in the area providing this service, then its bills are capped by the municipality and/or county in many circumstances and they are also sometimes made to have a payment option for low-income individuals. However, there is generally no law that says that utilities must continue to keep their services running if the bill is not paid.BUT there exist Utility Bill Assistance Programs that help you pay the bills and not have them shut off - see here:http://webapp.psc.state.md.us/Intranet/psc/utilitybillassistance_new.cfmI hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work; I receive no credit for my time with you unless you press ACCEPT.

If you still need to clarify something or seek more information, just use the INFO button and I’d be more than happy to follow up to your satisfaction! There is no fee for follow up questions after an accept should you wish to continue in this thread and I encourage you to do so should you need clarification!

While the legal system tries to be inclusive of every possibility, sometimes, people are ethically wronged but have limited legal avenues seek relief. If so, please understand that this is not the expert’s fault, but the way of circumstance.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus is always appreciated!

You can always request me for a future advice through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=7286322&FID=7 If you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”