Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

Social Security is paid one month in arrears, so what is the

Social Security is paid one month in arrears, so what is the law regarding the month of death if the person receiving benifits dies 4 days before the end of the month.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. I encourage you to ask me for clarification, if you are not clear with my Answer.

Question: Social Security is paid one month in arrears, so what is the law regarding the month of death if the person receiving benifits dies 4 days before the end of the month.

Response: The Social Security benefits for the month of death would not be paid. For example, if the person dies in December, then the January 1, 2011 check would have to be returned to Social Security Administration:

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/10008.html