Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

I am a retired Contracts Manager in the aerospace field. Ive

I am a retired Contracts Manager in the aerospace field. I've been asked by an aerospace company to assist them in creating a procurement process which includes my consulting in the creation of standardized terms and conditions which will be selected by procurement personnel for their drafting of contracts with suppliers. I am not an attorney. Do my actions constitute practice of law?
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

Just to be clear, you are creating their contracts and their terms for negotiation for third parties, or just outlines as to what would be expected and proper under the whole process?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have 33 years experience working for defense contractors negotiating contracts with customers and suppliers. In the immediate instance I would be actually creating a template comprised of contract terms I have used over the years, eg, terms to be included in a fixed price contract for goods.
Thank you for your follow-up.

Actually no, this would not be deemed "unauthorized practice of law". A layperson can make a contract; an attorney is NOT required to make all agreements for parties, as otherwise you would need one whenever you'd have to go to a convenience store to purchase a stick of gum. Since all you are doing is creating templates, and you are not actually representing them in negotiations, providing legal advice and feasibility, or otherwise acting as their legal representative, what you are doing is perfectly legitimate .

Good luck.

Edited by Dimitry Alexander Kaplun on 12/1/2010 at 7:39 AM EST