dkennedy
dkennedy, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  Juris Doctorate Degree
5930486

I had a gun question. My dad owned many guns.....after his

I had a gun question. My dad owned many guns.....after his death my mom called the cops and during that time my mom was scared that anything bigger than a .22 was illegal or wrong. My question is my mom passed away in 2009 and I now own her house and such including the selected .22's that she wanted to keep. Are the guns mine now?
Expert:  dkennedy replied 3 years ago.

dkennedy :

Customer :

howdy

dkennedy :

As you described the situation, the guns were part of your mother's estate.

Customer :

what do you think?.... yes that is correct

dkennedy :

Do you plan to open a probate case?

Customer :

the probate status on the house is 99.9% complete.....

dkennedy :

Okay. Were the guns part of the inventory in the estate

Customer :

my sister is executer of the estate

Customer :

it stated that the house and all included....I think....

dkennedy :

Did you read the will?

Customer :

not very closely.....

Customer :

I didn't do enuf homework did i?.......

dkennedy :

Wellll.....

dkennedy :

You should read the will and also look at the other probate papers. There will be an inventory with all the property listed.

Customer :

I remember that it states that I recieve the house and the car that was in my moms name.....

Customer :

and my sister recieves the other things...since she waived her right to own the house and car

dkennedy :

A common way to write a will is to leave certain things to certain people and then put in the "residual" property goes to XXX, which means everything that is not mentioned.

dkennedy :

That might be the guns.

Customer :

my mom left everything to my sister...and my sis denyed the right to own the house and car......

Customer :

im running in circles ain't i

dkennedy :

Did you get the furniture and appliances in the house?

Customer :

yes.....

dkennedy :

Were those originally given to your sister, too?

Customer :

my sis owns her own house....cars.....has a family

Customer :

I think they were included in the house.....

Customer :

in my mom's will

dkennedy :

I would say the guns are probably part of the household goods, and as such they are yours. If she has not taken them or sold them, she obviously intends that you will have them.

Customer :

my mom was not specific about anything other than: Gold/precious metals, house, car

Customer :

ok....so by MN statue I can legally own them in the house....unless I want to conceil/carry?

dkennedy :

Most of the time wills don't include a lot of the personal property, especially someone like your mom would not be considering the guns as an important part of he estate.

Customer :

true....

dkennedy :

You can legally own them, assuming that they are not weird, like sawed off shotguns or something.

Customer :

ok.....they are: 2 .22 handguns (pistol, revolver), 1 20ga shotgun recived as a gift from my sis's husband, and 1 .22 rifle

dkennedy :

Check with your local sheriff department to see if there is a local rule or ordinance to register the guns with them. Not because of you, but because that is how they sometimes trace a gun that they find that might be stolen.

Customer :

ahhhhh.......so am I guaranteed that they won't take 'em away...?? they were only used for target practice...and the 2nd amendment

Customer :

I did not purchase them of course.....

Customer :

I was underage when my dad bought them all

Customer :

and he had a permit to carry at the time....

dkennedy :

Guns are legal, except for a whole lot of exceptions, such as anyone who has been convicted of certain domestic abuse crimes, felons, etc. Certain types of guns are illegal, and there are different rules about registration.

Customer :

hmmm.......do I just need to bring them serial #'s and brand and size......

Customer :

i've never done it b4......

Customer :

if I do not register could I get in legal trouble?

Customer :

I just want to be able to protect my home and life (only when necessary)......

Customer :

i'm clear of any convictions...felonys....ect.....

dkennedy :

The laws are different everywhere, so that's why I said to check with your local sheriff. But, generally yes, they just want a description and serial number. Like I said, when guns are found, they need to trace them back to the owner.

Customer :

ok...... do you know by a legal standpoint in MN will legal gun ownership be illegal?

Customer :

through these bills and things being passed?

dkennedy :

I don't understand your question. Are you asking whether MN is considering outlawing guns?

Customer :

yes....that is exactly what I meant.....sorry

dkennedy :

There is no chance of that. People get the wrong idea about the "gun control" issues, usually. It is about stricter requirements to purchase guns (like a waiting period, etc.) and about outlawing things like machine guns, etc. Of course there are people who would like all guns outlawed in the US, but that will never happen.

Customer :

I really hope it doesn't come to that.....

dkennedy :

Good luck, and I'm sure everything is fine about the guns.

dkennedy :

I'll sign off now.

Customer :

ok...thank you so much for easing my mind......

Customer :

my dad was the gun guru.... have a great night.....

dkennedy, Lawyer (JD)
Experience: Juris Doctorate Degree