GeorgetownLawyr
GeorgetownLawyr, Attorney
Experience:  10+ Years Experience in Civil Litigation, Family, Probate and Immigration Law.
46665915

My father is French. He had a green card issued in 1964 and

My father is French. He had a green card issued in 1964 and worked in the US for a couple of years and has a social sec number. He left to go back to France and has been there since 1967. His 4 children are US citizens. What is involved in getting his green card reinstated?

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be helping you resolve your matter.

Please remember there may be a delay as I may be helping other customers.

do the children live in the u.s.?

over age 21?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes all 4 children live in the US and are over 21.

Great! No worries. One of the children needs to file for a green card for him. As the father of adult u.s. citizens, a green card is immediately available for him. The child needs to file form I-130. you can get the form from http://www.uscis.gov/ "forms" and the instructions are there also. Once you file and it is approved, it will be sent to the National Visa Center (NVC) and they will ask for fees and the I-864 affidavit of support to be sent. Once that is done the file is sent to the u.s. embassy in his country and they call him for the interview and he gets his green card. It will take about 8-10 months from the filing of the I-130. Also, don't worry the lapsing of the last green card is not held against him.

I hope this helps. Please click "accept". I will be happy to still reply to a follow up on this issue at no extra cost. Your Positive feedback is also appreciated. If you want to request me for future questions, just put "TO GEORGETOWNLAWYR" in the question line. Thanks and best regards.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Once he has a green card can he split his time between his house in France and the US? Thanks.
yes he can. he just needs to be here in the u.s. at least 6 months per year. he does this for 5 years and then after 5 years he can file N-400 for u.s citizenship and once he is a u.s. citizen he can spend as much or as little time as he likes in the u.s. and remain a u.s. citizen. Also, the u.s. recognizes dual citizenship also. i hope that helps. thanks again and best regards.