MShore, Attorney
Experience:  Negotiate, Draft, and Review many complex commercial agreements each year.

Dear Experts, I am a musician who owns a tour bus in which

Dear Experts,

I am a musician who owns a tour bus in which I use for business travel. On August 4th I brought it to a local garage to have the windshield replaced and some other minor body work done. The bus is a 1975 Eagle which has had it's share of repairs over the years. When the garage gave me their intitial estimate they said it would be $13,000 and completed by Sept. 4th. 2 weeks later they notified me that they had found rust around the windshield frame and that it would be more complicated than they thought. At this point, the windshield was off and I told them to proceed. Sept. 4th came and went and I called and visited the garage at least once a week to check on progress. At one point an employee confided that they don't have the proper personnel to do the work and that was the reason for the hold up. It is now November 30th and I still don't have my bus. I have been going to the garage, which is 30 miles away, every week to see what has been done. I was finally given a final estimate of $27,000. I was floored. During the time that the bus has been garaged, I have had to rent other transport to carry 5 guys and all of our equipment for weekends at a time. This is not cheap. I have also had to rent hotel rooms to replace the accommodations the bus provides. The estimate bills for roughly 240 labor hours which accounts for $18,000 of the final bill. I feel that they were grossly inefficient in their execution of the work and I don't believe I was given a proper 'heads up' that the bill would double. I had been to the shop at least 10 times, not once could anyone tell me when the bus would be completed or that the estimate would be twice the original cost. I needn't tell anyone that $27,000 is a lot of money. They were inefficient and negligent in informing me of my new estimate. Do I have any legal recourse?
Expert:  MShore replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the post, you do have recourse in this situation. Have the $27,000 repairs been completed?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
They tell me they will be by the end of the week. Thank you for your quick response!

Expert:  MShore replied 5 years ago.
Thank you Dale, if you cannot reach an agreement on price with the repair shop, your recourse is to file suit against them for the negligent repair to have the court determine a fair price for the repairs and resolution.