INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses
11313492

I accidently hit a parked car in my apartment complex, and

I accidently hit a parked car in my apartment complex, and stopped and saw that they was much damage done to the other vehical than mine. I didn't know how to find the person since its at night and their car was parked opposite from the many buildings. I leftwithout a note and am scared to call the cops because my license is expired and I have a waarrent out in North Carolina. I am a single mom who works and goes to school, I have no one else to take care of my child so I left and feel horrible but I can't help them. I have insurance but can't pay the $1000 deductable. I can't go to jail. I'm scrared. their was one witness who stopped and asked if I wa ok, as I got out of my car and checked out the other car. I said yes and they ddrove off.
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 3 years ago.

INFOLAWYER :

Hello, I am legal expert at Justanswer and I will be helping you with your question today.

INFOLAWYER :

Have you been contacted by the owner of the parked car?

INFOLAWYER :

or by the police?

Customer :

no because I do not knnow who they are or whick apt they live in and I didn't call the police becasue of my expired license and warrent in nc. I live in mi though

Customer :

woops sorry don't know what happened

Customer :

no I don;t know who they are or which apartment is theres cause it was parked on the other side away from the buildings

Customer :

I didn't call the poice because I am scared my license is expired because of outstanding ticket in nc which is probably a warrent now.

Customer :

hello?

INFOLAWYER :

You want to contact the owner if possible and work out a payment plan for the damages. That should put an end to it. No one was injured so the police normally dont interfere. If you cannot locate the owner by reasonable effort, all you can do is wait to be contacted for now.

INFOLAWYER :

You could leave a note to be called by the owner

INFOLAWYER :

and then work out a settlement as noted

Customer :

the law says that I should leave aa note, but I'm afriad their going to call the cops the moment they get any of my info

INFOLAWYER :

Your options are to leave a note or wait and see if you are contacted

Customer :

I've done bad damage to the vehical. I don't thin they'll be able to drive in the morning the tire is tucked in

INFOLAWYER :

Practically, some people claim they left a note as it is hard to prove otherwise

INFOLAWYER :

You could try to meet the driver in the morning

INFOLAWYER :

and then work out a settlement

Customer :

what are the penalties just in case the witness finds me or something. I'm so scared

INFOLAWYER :

Practically the driver will want to be made whole and seek to sue for the damages incurred

INFOLAWYER :

For this reason working out a settlement would be preferable

INFOLAWYER :

If you cover the cost plus additional amount for the inconvenience

INFOLAWYER :

often insurers are not even involved

INFOLAWYER :

nor the police

Customer :

but I'm mean if the cops find me. what are the penalties then?

Customer :

I just want to know the worse case scenario

INFOLAWYER :

For criminal consequences, I will refer you to a colleague. Please hang on

INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Experience: Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses