Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
17897874

when i was 17. i got into a car accident by entering the wrong

Customer Question

when i was 17. i got into a car accident by entering the wrong side of the U-turn and collided with a car head on. a year passed. and i got sued by the people in the car that i hit for injuries. they also sued my father because i was delivering food for his restaurant at the time of the accident. i was not employed by the restaurant at the time( can be proven), and my father had no knowledge of me delivering the order. i'm going to meet up with the other sides' lawyer for questions in a month. my question is, if they win the trail. the insurance only covers so much. should i be concerned that my father would be liable for my mistake? also should i hire a personal lawyer besides the lawyer of my car insurance company?
Expert:  Loren replied 6 years ago.
1. If the only get a judgment against you, personally, and not your father or his business then they may not go after your father's assets. They could only go after your assets. 2. The lawyer provided by the insurance company is your lawyer. You should obtain separate counsel if it appears that the interests of the insurance company and you are at odds. An example would be where the damages appear to substantially exceed the policy limits.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
in cases similar to mine, what are the chances that my father and his business would also be responsible?
Expert:  Loren replied 6 years ago.
Without a more detailed examination of all the case it is difficult to say. However, your summary would appear to indicate that you were not employed by your father and the doctrine of respondeat superior should not apply. Therefore, your father should not be held liable.