How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask INFOLAWYER Your Own Question

Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 51894
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses
Type Your Legal Question Here...
INFOLAWYER is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

It is my understanding that in multi housing units ( apartment

Resolved Question:

It is my understanding that in multi housing units ( apartment complexes) if a renter is a moved it and is a smoker and I live above them, and the smoke comes into my apartment in any way that I am forced to breath it, ( I personally have severe health reactions to smoke) the aparment complex must move the OFFENDING party.. This was in the Az Republic about 11 years ago. I have been living in this apartment over a year and no one smoked below me, today I came home to find my entire apt stinking of cigarette smoke. I will have to go to a hotel. which I can't afford, When I moved in here I told them this, and they said they didn't allow anyone to smoke where it is offensive. Now the apartment has been sold and that rental agent isn't here. What are my legal rights. I can't afford to be sick and have chest pains which happens.. Thank you.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I am legal expert at Justanswer and I will be helping you with your question today. Are you looking to get out of a lease? what outcome do you want?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I love this apartment so no, I am not wanting to get out of the lease unless they refuse to move the offending party.
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 4 years ago.
They are required by law to maintain your quiet enjoyment and habitability. This is implied and in the lease. If confronted with such demand preferably by a lawyer, they should accomodate you and force the neighbor to stop or reduce use or alternatively install barriers to block the infilitration of smoke.

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up question and my answer because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

Take care and happy holidays,


Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes Daniel I will click on accept answer,but I first need the Arizona Revised Statute number where it gives the ruling for apartment dwellers to be protected. I have that Arz Republic article somewhere but it would take me a month to go through everything to try to find it.... I looked up the newer Smoking Law, but it didn't give the part about apartment rentals...

I was here way before this new tenant, and figured to stay here for years to come. It is lovely,,, but I just can't afford to hire an attorney, I am a hair dresser and we don't make that kind of money.

Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 4 years ago.
Your relief is not statutory as it is a matter of common law and protected within the terms of your lease by which tenant is guaranteed quiet enjoyment of the premises. A court, if it reaches that, would look to the specific conditions, complaints, and actions/inactions of the defendant.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
But I know there is a statute on it, that is what the article said... how do I find that? I can't afford court and lawyers Daniel....
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 4 years ago.
You can file a complaint in court if they wont listen to your argument without a lawyer. You may also seek a lawyer for free through the state bar association. I am including the link below which should help you in the process.
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 51894
Experience: Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses
INFOLAWYER and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 4 years ago.
I will ask customer service to help you with printing.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina


    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.