LegalEase
LegalEase, Attorney
Experience:  Experience in Family law, Wills and Estate Planning
15144571

I am currently stationed in Texas. I need to file for child

I am currently stationed in Texas. I need to file for child support. But don't know if I can file here in Texas or do I have to file in NY where my daughter was born and where I believe her father still lives. Paternity was established before I joined the service. I will also being going overseas again with my daughter how can I keep up with the case if I do open one?
Expert:  LegalEase replied 6 years ago.
If there's a custody order in place, you file intially where that custody order was put in place and then you can transfer the case to Texas for enforcement. However, if no custody order is in place, you may be able to file in Texas.

You mention paternity was established, was that via a court order, or did he sign the birth certificate?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Both...he signed the birth certificate and then requested a paternity test through the courts. No custody order is in place.

Expert:  LegalEase replied 6 years ago.
The paternity case established jurisdiction over your daughter in the the court where it was filed, so you will need to contact that court, file a petition for child support, and then request transfer of the case to Texas. You may be able to get help through your JAG office, and if not, you will need to contact an attorney in New York where paternity was established to get everything started.