SoloLawyer
SoloLawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Missisippi Attorney; Criminal Law, Family Law, Personal Injury, and Civil Defense
18210975

I live in the state of Tennessee, and three months ago my wife

Customer Question

I live in the state of Tennessee, and three months ago my wife walked out on me and our son after I caught her having an affair online with someone she met on Facebook. The person she met is from England, and even though I have done everything possible to get her to try to reconcile or work on our marriage, she wants none of it. She doesn't want any custody of our son at all. She doesn't want anything except to leave the country and be with this person. I have been hopeful that we could work things out, but I have been informed that she has already purchased a plane ticket to leave in 21 days and no papers have been filed at all for anything. She will be leaving me with all the bills, credit cards, house payment, two car payments, no child support... Is there any way that I can file for divorce and have a court decree that she stay in the country until everything has been finalized and settled?
Expert:  SoloLawyer replied 6 years ago.

SoloLawyer :

Hello - Thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to helping you with your legal problem today.

SoloLawyer :

Yes. Once you file for divorce, the court will order that she not leave until the divorce is finalized.

JACUSTOMER-ehykqil1- :

How can that be enforced?

JACUSTOMER-ehykqil1- :

I mean she already has a ticket, and doesn't plan on ever returning to the United States

JACUSTOMER-ehykqil1- :

So even with a court order I am afraid she would just skip out anyway

SoloLawyer :

If you alert the Court to this, they may order that she surrender her passport.

SoloLawyer :

When you speak to your divorce attorney, simply alert him to this fact so he can take the necessary steps to keep her grounded.

JACUSTOMER-ehykqil1- :

Alright, I have one other question

JACUSTOMER-ehykqil1- :

Her flight is only 21 days away

JACUSTOMER-ehykqil1- :

What are the chances that I can get this done in time

SoloLawyer :

It is going to be difficult. You'll need to consult an attorney, get the complaint filed, and get her served.

SoloLawyer :

I would speak to an attorney tomorrow.

JACUSTOMER-ehykqil1- :

I will most certainly do that tomorrow.

SoloLawyer :

I hope it works out.

SoloLawyer :

It would be terrible if she just left.

JACUSTOMER-ehykqil1- :

It won't, unfortunately

JACUSTOMER-ehykqil1- :

No matter what she does it will damage how our son views her

JACUSTOMER-ehykqil1- :

and he doesn't deserve it

JACUSTOMER-ehykqil1- :

but thank you, XXXXX XXXXX answered my questions very well

SoloLawyer :

I wish you the best of luck! Don't forget to press ACCEPT if my Answer was helpful. If you need me to clarify my Answer or ask a follow up question, just ask! My goal is to provide an outstanding Answer, so give me a chance.

Regards,

Michael

JACUSTOMER-ehykqil1- :

I appreciate it