Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.

We are Quarter Horse breeders located in SD. We host a productio

Customer Question

We are Quarter Horse breeders located in SD. We host a production sale every year as well as sell private treaty. We sold a 8 year old registered Quarter Horse gelding 4-3-10 to an older gentleman who was using the horse for his personal use at his farm/feedlot. This horse was in excellent condition and health. He was current on his vaccinations and sound in every way. He paid our asking price of $8,000 and asked us to hold the check for 3 days to try him in his environment. 3 days later he called and was pleased with the horse and agreed for us to cash the check. Now over 7 months later he called and states the horse is cripled and was that way when he bought him. He wants us to buy the horse back for $5,000. We have not seen the horse since it left our possession April 3. What are our legal rights after 7 months following a sale? Thank you, Doris
Expert:  Sam replied 5 years ago.

You are under no legal obligation to buy the horse back. A legitimate sale was made. Your rights are you can tell him this was a final sale as agreed at the time. That he had ample time to try the horse, you even held the check for 3 days. And now 7 months later, the horse is his

If you have further questions, you may post them here and i will continue to assist. Otherwise, even if you have a subscription with JA please remember to ACCEPT my answer as that is the only way I can get credit for my time and information in this matter. Thank you and good luck