Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.

can a non-family member be gifted a home What are the tax

can a non-family member be gifted a home? What are the tax implications of the gift?

Good evening. Yes, one can make a gift to anyone. The tax consequences are the same as if you made a gift to a family member. There are no income tax consequences. And, there are likely no gift tax consequences either. There is an annual gift exclusion of $13,000 per person per year. In addition, each person (donor) has a lifetime gift exemption of $1,000,000. So if the house value is not in excess of the $13,000 plus any unused portion of the lifetime exemption, there would be no gift tax consequences.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Hey there...Thanks so much for the bonus! I appreciate your generosity!

Regarding your last question...that is correct!