Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
17027240

1. When filing chapter 7 bankruptcy in CA, is income, as evaluated

Customer Question

1. When filing chapter 7 bankruptcy in CA, is income, as evaluated by the means test, based on income at the time of filing or court appearance?

2. Is deferred income considered part of the means test for Chapter 7 CA bankruptcy proceedings?
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.

Good evening. The bankruptcy law determines your income by only looking at your household income during the six full calendar months before your bankruptcy filing.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

If the income has been deferred and you decide to file Chapter 7 BK before the income is paid out, is that income used in the income means test with a Chapter 7 BK process?

Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.

Typically it would only be included if it was earned in the 6 months immediately prior to bankruptcy but deferred. Otherwise, not.