Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  Practing General Attorney,
5180018

LANDLORD AND THE SUPPOSEDLY OWNER OF THE APARTMENT WHERE I

Customer Question

LANDLORD AND THE SUPPOSEDLY OWNER OF THE APARTMENT WHERE I LIVE R IN DISPUTES. ONE IS SAYING HE IS THE OWNER AND RENT SHOULD BE PAID TO HIM. HAVE LEASE WITH OTHER LANDLORD AND SHE SAYS DO NOT PAY HIM, AS THEY R IN COURTS TO CLEAR THIS MATTER UP. BUT, THE OWNER IS NOW EVICTING TENANTS AND THE OTHER MANAGEMENT/LANDLORD SAYS TO GIVE HER THE EVICTION PAPERS AND HER ATTORNEY WILL HANDLE THIS. DONT KNOW WHOM TO PAY, WHAT TO DO, CANNOT LIVE IN THIS SITUATION. DO U THINK WE AS TENATS NEED TO KEEP RENT IN ESCROW OR JUST MOVE SO THAT IF THE OWNER WINS, HE IS STATING THAT HE IS GOING TO EVICT ANYWAY.
Expert:  Daniel Solutions replied 6 years ago.
First let me say WOW! I had a client come to me with the very same problem less than a year ago and I will tell you to do what I told them. Open a separate bank account and deposit the rent amount into that bank account. Send a certified letter to each possible owner telling them you have deposited the money and will pay whomever the court directs you to pay. This way once the court determines the true owner you can pay the past rent and the separate bank account proves that you had the rent money when due and would prevent any eviction for nonpayment of rent.