How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask FiveStarLaw Your Own Question

FiveStarLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 36706
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
FiveStarLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

This is regarding a 7.5 year old defaulted small joint equity

Customer Question

This is regarding a 7.5 year old defaulted small joint equity loan (in a different state from where I live now). An attorney's office is handling the debt collection for the bank. I only found out about the still open debt & 5 year old judgement for lien against real & personal property by calling the bank to see why they were checking my credit every year (the judgement or the debt is not on any of my credit reports). They offered a settlement but I cannot come up with that amount & they will not work with me on payments etc. They are only coming after me, not my ex because they know where I work etc. They state if I don't pay the amount tomorrow "collections will continue." I fear wage garnishment, frozen assets and/or a lien on my recently purchased home. I am not sure what to do at this point.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  FiveStarLaw replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you.

I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. While I am permitted to provide you with legal information, I am prohibited by and various state bar associations from giving legal advice, representing you or entering into an attorney-client relationship through this open and nonconfidential forum.

Please tell me which State the equity loan was taken out in
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Expert:  FiveStarLaw replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for that information.

The statute of limitations in Mississippi is 3 years. Therefore if you have not made a payment in 3 or more years and suit has not yet been filed, you may raise the statute of limitations as a defense to any action brought against you to collect.

I hope this helps
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Really only 3 years? Is this info available through the MS courts so that I can raise this as a defense? The judgement is 5 years old & I am guessing they are trying to cross state lines now. What about the wage garnishment?

Expert:  FiveStarLaw replied 4 years ago.
If the court has already entered a judgment against you, the 3 year statute of limitations would not apply. The three-year statute of limitations applies to the filing of the lawsuit to obtain a judgment.

In Mississippi, wages may be garnished. 25% of wages are subject to garnishment.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
As stated earlier, I am no longer in MS. Now in FL, so I don't know how the judgement or a possible wage garnishment process works or will apply.
Expert:  FiveStarLaw replied 4 years ago.
I did not know that you now reside in Florida. I am a Florida licensed attorney.In Florida wages may not be garnished if you are a head of household. However Florida will recognize the Mississippi judgment
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I apologize, yes I am a FL resident. I have read somewhere that the homestead law of FL can protect someone against liens on their house?
Expert:  FiveStarLaw replied 4 years ago.
Yes that is also correct. Homestead property may not be attached in Florida
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok great. So it appears the only continued collections they can do is seek wage garnishment--not sure what other options I have to avoid this except to file for head of household when I qualify.
Expert:  FiveStarLaw replied 4 years ago.
Other than the head of household's exemption to wage garnishment, you can consider filing bankruptcy. If you would like more information concerning your bankruptcy options, please let me know
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Filing bankruptcy for this 7.5 year old semi-small loan? No thank you. Looks like they will have to spend their time & money to file suit for wage garnishment in this state. They have refused to send me any paperwork showing the amount owed or the judgement. They state I "have to take their word" that it is due & if I "pay then the loan & judgement will clear." But they will not send a bill or letter showing exactly what's due & what offer they are trying to settle for. It seems that an attorney's office would be able to mail something, just doesn't seem right that they won't or don't.

Expert:  FiveStarLaw replied 4 years ago.
I agree that a bankruptcy for this one debt may not be necessary. The fact that you have not received any information from the creditor may be because no judgment was in fact entered and the SOL has run.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina


    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.