Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

This is a follow up question. i am still confused about what

Customer Question

This is a follow up question. i am still confused about what to do about my property taxes on the condo i own. i have not paid my mortgage for three months and i already decided to let it go into foreclosure. i still pay my hoa dues but i really don't want to pay my property taxes because it is $3,000 and i need this money for other things. what will happen if i don't pay the property taxes? the last response to this question did not elaborate that much. i just want to live in this condo as long as possible without paying the mortgage. i put 80k down, and i really don't want to keep having to pay more money for a place i don't want and has depreciated so much. i live in california.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
If you do not pay the taxes they will put a tax lien on the property and then they can sell the property in tax auction and the mortgage company may even pay them and then they can come after you for the taxes you were supposed to pay that they paid on your behalf.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i have heard different things from different lawyers. what usually happens and when you say "they can sell your property at auction, do you mean the bank or the city..' and when you say come after you, what do you mean, for example will i just have to pay what i owed when i lived in the property or will i have to pay late fees and fines as well? is it common for banks to go after people. i am dealing with bank of america. i thought the new owner or the bank pays the taxes owed and then the rest goes to the mortgage. i thought the city would not take your property until the taxes were not paid for five years. also, i am paying my home owners dues but most people living here going through foreclosure are not. what happens if i don't pay them?
What I mean is the city will foreclose on a tax lien and sell the property at tax auction. If the bank pays it, this is something that is exempt from the non-recourse law and they will sue you for the tax money they had to pay to save the property from tax auction.

If you do not pay the homeowners dues, your HOA can also place a lien and foreclose on the property or the HOA can file suite against you for the dues up to the date the property is sold in foreclosure and any dues after the foreclosure sale date are up to the new owner who purchased in the foreclosure auction.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience: JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law