GoLaw
GoLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with eight years of experience in business law and landlord-tenant law.
15133235

How can I transfer my Power Of Attorney, for my sister-in-law,

How can I transfer my Power Of Attorney, for my sister-in-law, to someone else, hopefully her son, when she has dementia?
Expert:  GoLaw replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please keep in mind that this is a public forum and information posted here is not confidential.

You cannot unilaterally transfer the powers granted to you under a power of attorney. If someone else is named as an alternative POA, you may transfer the powers to that person. However, only your sister-in-law can grant someone else rights under the POA.

You may want to discuss the situation with your sister-in-law's medical provider, etc. Not everyone with dementia lacks the competency to execute a POA. She may be able to execute a new POA naming her son as Attorney.

The other option, if you no longer wish to act in the capacity under the POA is for your nephew to petition the court to name his as a guardian or conservator of your sister-in-law's person and property. These action can be somewhat expensive, however, and should be pursued only as a last resort.

I hope you found my answer helpful. Please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Please use the REPLY button to ask follow up questions.

This response is based upon the information provided in your question. If there is additional relevant information or you believe that I may have misunderstood or misread your question, please REPLY and let me know. I want to make certain that you receive as accurate information as possible. Thank you.

GoLaw, Attorney
Experience: Attorney with eight years of experience in business law and landlord-tenant law.