JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Attorney
Experience:  Explains legal matters based on 14+ years experience.
14211116

In the state of Virginia, are employers required to pay shift

In the state of Virginia, are employers required to pay shift differential for those working 24 hour shifts? Also, when you leave a job, are they required to pay out the sick and vacation time you've accrued?
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 6 years ago.

JB Umphrey :

Thank you for using JustAnswer!

JB Umphrey :

Can you please clarify what you mean by "shift differential" as you use that phrase?

JB Umphrey :

Does the employee belong to a union?

JB Umphrey :

Do the employees have written employment agreements/contracts with the employer concerning rates of pay, hours, and payout of sick/vacation time?

JACUSTOMER-un6fq7mq- :

by shift differential, I mean a stipend for working overnight or on weekends, like nurses get. Also as far as an employee agreement, I don't remember signing anything like that.

JB Umphrey :

Okay, one moment, please.

JB Umphrey :

Do you belong to a union?

JACUSTOMER-un6fq7mq- :

no, I don't belong to a union

JB Umphrey :

Okay, then, under such circumstances, the employer has no/zero legal obligation to pay a shift differential. The employer only has to make sure that the employees are paid at least the minimum wage.

JB Umphrey :

Also, the employer has no/zero legal obligation to pay out sick/vacation time upon one's termination from employment.

JB Umphrey :

Things could/would be different if the employer had a written contract with the employees agreeing to pay a shift differential.

JB Umphrey :

Things could/would be different if the employer had a written contract with the employees agreeing to pay out unused sick/vacation time at the time of separation.

JB Umphrey :

However, when such a written agreement does not exist, the law does not compel it to happen.

JB Umphrey :

Good luck and best wishes for better days ahead. I hope that you found this information to be helpful and this answer to be ACCEPTable!

JACUSTOMER-un6fq7mq- :

thank you!