Jane Doe Deer
Jane Doe Deer, Attorney
Experience:  Atty. since 1986; Plain English answers to family law, employment, landlord-tenant, & other questions

Mom is harassing me. I have bad depression and anexiety and

Mom is harassing me. I have bad depression and anexiety and my mom and step dad and her side of the family cause me severe stress and anxiety. I have changed my phone # XXXXX have ceased talking to her. She has been calling around trying to get me to talk to her, which my counsiler doesn't want me to, and in fact he wants me to have very limited contact and don't want any. Then today she decides to come my grandpa's place where I have been staying and wanted to talk. I did not know she was coming and my grandpa didn't stop her. So I was trapped in a bedroom in the back until finally she allowed me to leave. How can I get some legal protection from her in iowa where I live?
Expert:  Jane Doe Deer replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am sorry to hear about your situation.

Answer: In Iowa, you can attempt to obtain a protection order. Before that, you may want to try family counseling and/or writing your mother a certified, return receipt letter telling her not to contact you any further.

To obtain a protection order:

May I be of any further help? If so, just write back!

I'm happy to answer follow-up questions. If you have none, please

"ACCEPT" my answer.

There can sometimes be a delay of an hour or more in between my followup answers because I may be helping other customers, conducting legal research, or taking a break. If we're writing late in the evening, I may need to get some sleep and resume helping you the following morning.

Bonuses of even a dollar are much appreciated and help support this site.

I REALLY appreciate FEEDBACK so that I can continuously improve!

All my best,

Jane Doe Deer

Edited by Jane Doe Deer on 11/14/2010 at 9:57 PM EST