Lawgirl
Lawgirl, Lawyer
Experience:  I am an attorney familiar with the above-stated subject matter.
635143

My son has a friend who is 17 and does not have a place to

Customer Question

My son has a friend who is 17 and does not have a place to live. This child has said that if he doesn't find a place to stay by the end of the week they will pick him up and take custody of him. He has stated that he will be removed from his current school and taken to another city in our state. Is this possible?
Expert:  Lawgirl replied 3 years ago.

Lawgirl :

Thank you for your question. Who is the "they" that will pick him up? Does a state agency already have an open case pending on him? Where are his parents?

Customer:

Child protective services

Customer:

I don't know this kid. He is new to the school district. His dad is dead and his mother is in Florida according to him. I guess he was living with an aunt and uncle and they kicked him out

Customer:

My son has become friends with him but I don't anything about him except what he has been telling me. He has spent the last two nights with us. My son feels bad and wants me to help him.

Lawgirl :

Thank you for your question. Generally a minor will not be charged with finding his own place to live. If he is in the system and not living with the people who are his guardians or the people responsible for him under law, then he will be picked up to the extent that Protective Services or Social Services is alerted that there is a problem with his living conditions or there is a court order ordering him to live in a certain situation. This is not likely an ultimatum given to him by Social Services as they would not likely let him randomly decide where to live without some sort of investigation into the household. This ultimatum realistically sounds like if it is real, it would come from the guardian perhaps threatening to take legal action to have him picked up (either via Social Services or the police) if he does not have a new stable place to live by the end of the week. Although the situation is possible, it sounds a little suspect.

Lawgirl, Lawyer
Experience: I am an attorney familiar with the above-stated subject matter.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do you think this kid is telling the truth?
Expert:  Lawgirl replied 3 years ago.
I have no way to know that without knowing more about the situation. From the limited information I have, it does not sound realistic. However, if this is a situation wherein the kid's guardians have no desire to deal with him and Child Support Services is biding time until his 18th birthday, it is possible that they are looking the other way. Generally situations wherein the child would know they are looking the other way and leaving him responsible for finding a place to live sounds suspect.