JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Attorney
Experience:  Explains legal matters based on 14+ years experience.
14211116

I have a Legal fee order LTS on my bank account and I have

I have a Legal fee order LTS on my bank account and I have no clue what it is for -- I got no notice -- single mom with a baby and they took huge chunk from bank account -- what should I do?
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 3 years ago.

JB Umphrey :

Thank you for using JustAnswer!

JB Umphrey :

I am sorry to learn of your circumstances.

JB Umphrey :

Do you recall being sued in recent years for anything (e.g., an unpaid credit card, unpaid car note, etc.)?

Customer:

Yes -- and I have been making monthly payments for a number of things...the economy caught up with me like everyone else -- but I got no notice of this - or I would have made arrangement immediately

JB Umphrey :

Okay, you will find that this Legal Fee Order from LTS is about that.

JB Umphrey :

They found your bank account and went in to directly garnish the bank account.

JB Umphrey :

You can contact the bank for further information, detailed, about what the Legal Fee Order LTS is about.

JB Umphrey :

They should be able to provide it to you so that you can confirm/verify where the money is really going to and for what.

Customer:

The bank did give me a number to call (just called them) -- it's the state Marshall's office -- once I do find out what it is for...what can I do -- it's a huge amount

JB Umphrey :

In Connecticut, the law only protects the first $1,000 in a bank account from garnishment.

JB Umphrey :

Anything over that in the bank account can be skimmed off by LTS.

Customer:

So...is this just set in stone and there's nothing I can do? When does the next garnishment come -- I think I have an idea of what this is for (having looked through my paperwork)

JB Umphrey :

An option to consider is to make sure you never have more than $1,000 in that bank account.

Customer:

You mean take my money out of that bank and put it in "another" bank?

JB Umphrey :

You can interpret that however you wish :)

Customer:

What if I were to transfer it to my son's savings account and transfer in to my account to pay each bill -- if I transfer it in to my account will it automatically be debited?

JB Umphrey :

I'm sorry but the site rules do not allow me to give specific legal advice.

JB Umphrey :

And, in fairness, I do not have the benefit of being able to review the written terms and conditions of any bank accounts you may have access to.

Customer:

I do want to pay this off -- I just can't do it with huge chunks of money being removed -- if I contact the company who is doing this, do you know if they can help me and remove the garnishment?

JB Umphrey :

They may be able to help you with the amount.

JB Umphrey :

They will not remove the garnishment entirely, however.

JB Umphrey :

Their job is to collect money.

JB Umphrey :

They will not walk away from a known source of money when the law says they can take everything but the first $1K sitting in the account.

Customer:

Do you know how much they take at a given time because they only took $1,400 -- and I believe this is a $2500 debt and there is still $2,600 left in my account --

JB Umphrey :

No, I do not know why they took the dollar amounts that they did.

Customer:

And come to think of it -- I had exactly the amount they took -- because my balance last night was 0.00 -- they took exactly what I had in my account

JB Umphrey :

Okay.

Customer:

I had a direct deposit from work today and that charge was taken -- they toook exatly what I had in my account as of yesterday...

JB Umphrey :

It may be that the bank just froze the whole amount.

JB Umphrey :

But, there's no way fro me to know. You'd have to contact the bank directly for more details.

Customer:

But if the law says they have to leave $1,000 how were they able to do that?

JB Umphrey :

Again, you'd have to contact the bank directly for more details. As I've suggested before, it may be that the bank has just frozen the entire amount.

JB Umphrey :

They know the particulars of your account. We do not.

JB Umphrey :

I hope that you have found this information to be helpful and this answer to be ACCEPTable!

Customer:

Okay -- obviously there are no laws as I had no money in my account -- thanks

JB Umphrey, Attorney
Experience: Explains legal matters based on 14+ years experience.