JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Attorney
Experience:  Explains legal matters based on 14+ years experience.
14211116

I have a Legal fee order from LTS on my bank Account.

I have a Legal fee order LTS on my bank account and I have no clue what it is for. I got no notice. I am a single mom with a baby and they took huge chunk from bank account. What should I do?

JB Umphrey :

Thank you for using JustAnswer!

I am sorry to learn of your circumstances.

Do you recall being sued in recent years for anything (e.g., an unpaid credit card, unpaid car note, etc.)?

JACUSTOMER-dxmcuag9- :

Yes, and I have been making monthly payments for a number of thing. The economy caught up with me like everyone else. But, I got no notice of this, or I would have made arrangement immediately

JB Umphrey :

Okay, you will find that this Legal Fee Order from LTS is about that.

They found your bank account and directly garnished it.

You can contact the bank for further information, detailed, about what the Legal Fee Order LTS is about.

They should be able to provide it to you so that you can confirm/verify where the money is really going to and for what.

JACUSTOMER-dxmcuag9- :

The bank did give me a number to call (just called them). It's the state Marshall's office. Once I do find out what it is for, what can I do. It's a huge amount

JB Umphrey :

In Connecticut, the law only protects the first $1,000 in a bank account from garnishment. Anything over that in the bank account can be skimmed off by LTS.

JACUSTOMER-dxmcuag9- :

So...Isn't there's nothing I can do? When does the next garnishment come. I think I have an idea of what this is for (having looked through my paperwork)

JB Umphrey :

An option to consider is to make sure you never have more than $1,000 in that bank account.

JACUSTOMER-dxmcuag9- :

You mean take my money out of that bank and put it in "another" bank?

JB Umphrey :

You can interpret that however you wish :)

JACUSTOMER-dxmcuag9- :

What if I were to transfer it to my son's savings account and transfer in to my account to pay each bill. If I transfer it in to my account will it automatically be debited?

JB Umphrey :

I'm sorry, but the site rules do not allow me to give specific legal advice.

And, in fairness, I do not have the benefit of being able to review the written terms and conditions of any bank accounts you may have access to.

JACUSTOMER-dxmcuag9- :

I do want to pay this off. I just can't do it with huge chunks of money being removed. If I contact the company who is doing this, do you know if they can help me and remove the garnishment?

JB Umphrey :

They may be able to help you with the amount. They will not remove the garnishment entirely, however. Their job is to collect money.

They will not walk away from a known source of money when the law says they can take everything but the first $1K sitting in the account.

JACUSTOMER-dxmcuag9- :

Do you know how much they take at a given time because they only took $1,400, and I believe this is a $2500 debt and there is still $2,600 left in my account.

JB Umphrey :

No, I do not know why they took the dollar amounts that they did.

JACUSTOMER-dxmcuag9- :

And come to think of it, I had exactly the amount they took, because my balance last night was 0.00. They took exactly what I had in my account

I had a direct deposit from work today and that charge was taken. They took exactly what I had in my account as of yesterday...

JB Umphrey :

It may be that the bank just froze the whole amount.

But, there's no way for me to know. You'd have to contact the bank directly for more details.

JACUSTOMER-dxmcuag9- :

But if the law says they have to leave $1,000 how were they able to do that?

JB Umphrey :

Again, you'd have to contact the bank directly for more details. As I've suggested before, it may be that the bank has just frozen the entire amount.

They know the particulars of your account. We do not.

JACUSTOMER-dxmcuag9- :

Okay thanks..