Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

is it illegal to carry a bokken (wooden sword)

Expert:  Ely replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for the opportunity to assist you. Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

No, it is not. Because the actual blade is not metal and the sword is not sharp, it is not illegal to carry a bokudo under Chapter 46 of the TPC.

I'm here if you need any more clarification or follow up information.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work - when you put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time with you unless you press ACCEPT.

There is no fee for follow up questions should you wish to continue in this thread.

Remember, sometimes the law under which your situation falls does not give you the outcome or the choices you wanted - please understand that this is not the attorney's fault, but the way of circumstance.

There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be appreciated!

You can always request me for a future legal consultation through my profile at If you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Expert:  Ely replied 5 years ago.
Hello,I see you relisted my answer. May I ask what I can expand on so as to make it satisfactory?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Does this apply to other states? Whats the TPC?
Expert:  Ely replied 5 years ago.
Oh, sure thing. TCP stands for the 'Texas Criminal Code' and it defines what is legal or not to carry. Texas Penal Code sections 46.01 defines a sword an '"Illegal knife' but it has to have a metal blade to BE a knife. Texas courts have repeatedly states that a wooden practice sword is NOT a weapon.However, other state have separate codes which may or may NOT correspond to Texas, so it depends on the state.