Lawgirl
Lawgirl, Lawyer
Experience:  I am an attorney familiar with the above-stated subject matter.
635143

due to an anonymous phone call, i was terminated after company

due to an anonymous phone call, i was terminated after company so-called investigation, no proof, no evidence, just heresay and who they choose to beleive, taken into room with my wife,who was also terminated, no h.r. rep., just 3 bosses and us, would there be any grounds for somesort of unjust termination, discrimination, or defamation?
Expert:  Lawgirl replied 3 years ago.

Lawgirl :

What reason did they give you for terminating you? What were the allegations or hearsay?

JACUSTOMER-n2a32ir9- :

everything from drugs, pot and pot baked goods, giving out prescription meds., sabotaging other work areas, sexist and racial remarks, and also watching porn, which the computers can't acsess

Lawgirl :

Do you have any type of employment agreement or contract with your employer?

JACUSTOMER-n2a32ir9- :

just an hourly employee's, we did have to sign an at will employment form

Lawgirl :

If you are an at-will employee then you can be terminated for any (or no reason) as long as your employer does not terminate you for a discriminatory reason based on your race, religion, gender, age, national origin or disability or a reason in violation of the law. In this situation wherein your employer chooses to terminate because of some unflattering rumors, it is unlikely that you would have a case unless you can prove discrimination based on one of the aforementioned categories. I am sorry.

JACUSTOMER-n2a32ir9- :

would there be a case of retaliation againest us because we just had an employee survey and we both spoke the truth about how our management was, is was supposedly confidential, but we both noticed how the feeling at work had started to feel weird, and that co-workers who used to be friendly, they all seem to give us the cold shoulder, all this started about a month or so be for our termination

Lawgirl :

You could potentially bring a retaliation case; however, it may be very difficult to prove that this was the real reason for your termination as opposed to your employer not wanting to deal with the rumors. Retaliation based on a confidential survey is a grayer area than if you had blown the whistle on your company and faced termination. Additionally, your company may try to claim that the survey was indeed confidential, in which case you would have to prove that your employer was able to figure out that you were responsible for survey. As you may not want to rule anything out, it may be worth sitting down with a local attorney to figure out whether these issues could be proven or dealt with effectively if there were to be a trial.

JACUSTOMER-n2a32ir9- :

we might have a chance since we did say to have the whole operation should be investigated, from top to bottom, and i also know of a co-worker who was approached by her boss after the survey and was told next time don't use any names on her survey, so how do they know it was her, and she told us she did use names,

Lawgirl :

Then you may have a shot at being able to prove that you were retaliated against.

Lawgirl :

You may consider looking for a local employment law attorney through www.avvo.com or www.martindale.com and sitting down with them to get their opinion on whether you have a case (once they are able to assess all of the facts).

Lawgirl, Lawyer
Experience: I am an attorney familiar with the above-stated subject matter.